PragmaticBookshelf

PragmaticBookshelf

Devtalk Sponsor

Spotlight: Stephen Bussey (Author) Interview and AMA!

Author Spotlight:
Stephen Bussey
@sb8244

What’s better than a development language built so programmers will love it? Two languages built to enhance the joy of coding! We talked with Stephen Bussey, author of From Ruby to Elixir, about the roadmaps and benefits of moving an organization towards adopting the strengths and flexibility of new paradigms and tooling.

This is also an AMA. Everyone commenting or asking a question will automatically be entered into our drawing to win a copy of From Ruby to Elixir!

Most Liked

sb8244

sb8244

Author of From Ruby to Elixir and Real-Time Phoenix

Oh my gosh, so sorry on the delay here! I don’t know why I didn’t get notified.

Migrating any old code base to a new code base is incredibly challenging. I did 2 Ruby → Elixir extractions out of the monolith. The most challenging part was indexing literally every single feature / quirk and making sure the new service handled it correctly. It is very easy to miss an item and then introduce a bug.

More generally, adopting Elixir required getting the “non-negotiables” in place. For example, making sure observability, logging, data access, networking, security, framework (we had an internal Ruby framework that we emulated to Elixir), etc. A lot of work went into that, but it was copyable between future apps!

thoh

thoh

Thanks for the interview both Stephen and Erica, I really enjoyed reading it as I knew little of Elixir. I guess I was drawn in by the Ruby part in the title :wink:

Reading the interview I see it has good scaling abilities up, but I like to tinker with IoT and smaller devices like single board computers and devices that run on battery (or are in different ways quite constrained) how would you say Elixir is useful on such devices?

Congratulations with the book!

Thomas

zzz6519003

zzz6519003

So luckily you have the reason which is the work to learn it?

Do you have some suggestions for us? Like list some reasons? :wink:

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
“Finding the Boundaries” Hero’s Journey with Noel Rappin @noelrappin Even when you’re ultimately right about what the future ho...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
“A Mystical Experience” Hero’s Journey with Paolo Perrotta @nusco Ever wonder how authoring books compares to writing articles?...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A Hero’s Journey with VM (Vicky) Brasseur @vmbrasseur VM (Vicky) Brasseur, author of Forge Your Future with Open Source, discuss...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight James Stanier @jstanier James Stanier, author of Effective Remote Work , discusses how to rethink the office as we e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Johanna Rothman @jrothman Writing is a craft and Johanna Rothman is an expert. Today we talked about the art of wri...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Tammy Coron @Paradox927 Gaming, and writing games in particular, is about passion, vision, experience, and immersio...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Peter Ullrich @PJUllrich Data is at the core of every business, but it is useless if nobody can access and analyze ...
New
Margaret
Ask Me Anything with Ashley Peacock @ashleypeacock On February 27 and 28, we are giving you a chance to ask questions of PragProg aut...
New
Margaret
Building a Culture of Experimentation with Leemay Nassery @leemay With the right mindset, architecture, and processes, any team ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New