PragmaticBookshelf

PragmaticBookshelf

Devtalk Sponsor

Spotlight: Sophie DeBenedetto (Author)

A Hero’s Journey
with Sophie DeBenedetto
@SophieDeBenedetto

Sophie DeBenedetto, author of Programming Phoenix Liveview, discusses her journey to becoming a Pragmatic Bookshelf author.

INTERVIEW

Listen to the complete audio interview here:

https://pragprog.libsyn.com/episode-05-sophie-debenedetto

WIN!

We’re giving away one of Sophie’s books to one lucky winner! Simply post a comment or a question in her AMA below, and the Devtalk bot will randomly pick a winner at a time of the author’s choosing … then automatically update this thread with the results!


SHOW SUMMARY

For those who prefer to read rather than listen, the following are highlights from the interview.

Sophie DeBenedetto is a software engineer at GitHub and a former teacher at The Flatiron School. At GitHub, Sophie works on tools that power software collaboration around the world.

Her language of choice is Elixir, and it’s no surprise considering all she’s done—and is currently doing—for the Elixir community. Not only is she a contributor and maintainer of Elixir School, a newsletter choc-full of resources for anyone learning to code and working hard to get started in the tech field, she’s also the co-host of the Elixir Mix podcast.

On this episode, Sophie talks about her journey to becoming a pragmatic author and how she is passionate about helping people change their lives through code.

Listen to the rest of Sophie’s story on this episode of the Pragmatic Hero’s Journey podcast.

You can stream the episode here: https://pragprog.libsyn.com/ or subscribe to the RSS feed using the following link: https://pragprog.libsyn.com/rss.


Now that you know his story, check out Sophie’s book below!

PragProg Book by Sophie DeBenedetto

Dont forget! You can get 35% off Sophie’s book with the coupon code devtalk.com!


book-programming-phoenix-liveview


Connect with Sophie DeBenedetto

Twitter
LinkedIn
Website
Medium

Articles

https://medium.com/pragmatic-programmers/technical-writing-your-engineering-superpower-3280141edfad

https://medium.com/pragmatic-programmers/technical-writing-your-engineering-superpower-b994d23f8068


YOUR TURN!

We’re now opening up the thread for your questions! Ask Sophie anything! Please keep it clean and don’t forget by participating you automatically enter the competition to win one of her ebooks!

Most Liked

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Hi @Maartz! Thanks for your questions, my dog is in fact amazing :laughing:

I got into Elixir not too long after I graduated Flatiron School’s bootcamp where I learned mainly Ruby and JS. At first, learning Elixir was a hobby for me–I had a friend and co-worker who was really excited about it, and he really evangelized the language. I liked the pattern matching and the pipe operator and thought that I could write clean code that does cool things, but I wasn’t really in a position to appreciate the concurrency or fault-tolerance features bc I wasn’t using it professionally on a large enough scale. It stayed a hobby for me for a few years–I built a Phoenix chat application using Phoenix channels as a side project and that’s when I got really excited about the power of Phoenix, WebSocket and PubSub to power interactive UIs. Not too long after that, I got a new job where I could write Elixir professionally and that’s where I really saw a lot more of the benefits of Elixir, especially how it let teams and individuals be so productive. I actually wrote this blog post recently about some of those experiences An Elixir Adoption Success Story.

As for what bootcamps teach today, I’m not an expert on that subject but from a personal standpoint, I’d love to see functional languages taught more as a “first language”. I’m really interested to see how people without the baggage of object oriented thinking approach designing functional programs. And, I do really believe that LiveView is the future of a lot of web development, and seeing more beginners get into Elixir and Phoenix LiveView programming is a big goal of mine.

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Hello! Thanks for listening :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: No official plans to use Elixir at GitHub right now but we do have an internal Elixir group that meets up every few weeks to talk and learn and we have some ideas we’re exploring :crossed_fingers:

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Hello all! I hope to hear from our readers here or in the threads dedicated to questions on the Programming Phoenix LiveView book :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I’m always excited to talk about all things Elixir, technical writing or teaching (or cute dogs and other pets :dog: )

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
A PragProg Hero’s Journey with Brian P. Hogan @bphogan Have you ever worried that your only legacy will be in the form of legacy...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A Hero’s Journey with Sophie DeBenedetto @SophieDeBenedetto Sophie DeBenedetto, author of Programming Phoenix Liveview, discusse...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: VM Brasseur @vmbrasseur We have a treat for you today! We turn the spotlight onto Open Source as we sit down with V...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Johanna Rothman @jrothman Writing is a craft and Johanna Rothman is an expert. Today we talked about the art of wri...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Tammy Coron @Paradox927 Gaming, and writing games in particular, is about passion, vision, experience, and immersio...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight: Peter Ullrich @PJUllrich Data is at the core of every business, but it is useless if nobody can access and analyze ...
New
Margaret
Ask Me Anything with Ashley Peacock @ashleypeacock On February 27 and 28, we are giving you a chance to ask questions of PragProg aut...
New
Margaret
Building a Culture of Experimentation with Leemay Nassery @leemay With the right mindset, architecture, and processes, any team ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New