CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Running macOS in a Virtual Machine on Apple Silicon Macs

This sample code project demonstrates how to install and run macOS virtual machines on Apple Silicon using the Virtualization framework. There are two separate applications included in the Xcode project:

  • InstallationTool, a command line tool that installs macOS onto a virtual machine from a restore image. You can use the installation tool to download the restore image of the most current macOS release from the network, or, if you already have previously saved a restore image, directly install macOS with your own restore image. The installation tool creates a VM Bundle in your home directory and stores the resulting virtual machine images there.
  • macOSVirtualMachineSampleApp, a macOS app that launches and controls the macOS virtual guest that loads and runs macOS from the VM Bundle.

You run the installation tool from inside Xcode or the command line to install the macOS image. After it successfully installs the image, you run the macOSVirtualMachineSampleApp to run the macOS guest operating system. The macOSVirtualMachineSampleApp starts the virtual machine and configures a graphical view that you interact with. The virtual Mac continues running until you shut it down from inside the guest OS, or you quit the macOSVirtualMachineSampleApp.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

First poster: bot
Yesterday, a short Twitter thread by the excellent Jeff Johnson caught my eye. Since he often deletes past tweets, I’ll quote the relevan...
New
First poster: bot
After months of silence about Apple’s impressive M1 chip, Intel just clapped back with a carefully crafted takedown of the Arm-based chip...
New
First poster: iPaul
Implementing Matrix Multiplication with WebGPU in Safari This is a quick overview of how to write a matrix multiplication for Safari leve...
New
First poster: bot
The Swift concurrency model intends to provide a safe programming model that statically detects data races and other common concurrency b...
New
First poster: bot
Fed up with the Mac, I spent six months with a Linux laptop. The grass is not greener on the other side April 02, 2021 — Carlos Fenollosa...
New
CommunityNews
We’re all familiar with the Mac’s startup chime. While it has changed over the years, it has greeted users with its friendly tone for dec...
New
First poster: bot
Learn how to use the brand new actor model to protect your application from unwanted data-races and memory issues.
New
First poster: bot
The report speculates that Apple’s increased use of Google Cloud suggests the company’s rising cloud storage requirements have outpaced i...
New
First poster: bot
Apple broke up with me :cry:. Do not get too attached to your Apple account; it belongs to Apple, NOT YOU!
New
First poster: bot
I recently received a tantalizing email from a reader I’ve never met: Sam Henri-Gold. Sam showed me how you can key in a couple write co...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New