GumptionWare

GumptionWare

Programming Phoenix LiveView B10.0: Confused about Protecting Sensitive Routes (pages 52 - 60)

On page 52, the topic of “Protecting Sensitive Routes” is introduced with this snippet from router.ex:

scope "/", PentoWeb do
  pipe_through [:browser, :require_authenticated_user]

  live_session :require_authenticated_user,
    on_mount: [{PentoWeb.UserAuth, :ensure_authenticated}] do 
     live "/users/settings", UserSettingsLive, :edit
     live "/users/settings/confirm_email/:token",
       UserSettingsLive, :confirm_email 
     live "/guess", WrongLive
   end
end

Then on page 60, the following snippet is shown for router.ex:

scope "/", PentoWeb do
  pipe_through [:browser, :require_authenticated_user]

  live_session :require_authenticated_user,
    # Specify the shared on_mount callback here
    on_mount: [{PentoWeb.UserAuth, :ensure_authenticated}] do
      live "/users/settings", UserSettingsLive, :edit
      live "/users/settings/confirm_email/:token",
        UserSettingsLive, :confirm_email 
      live "/guess", WrongLive
  end 
end

The only difference I can see is the addition of the # Specify the shared on_mount callback here comment.

So what I am confused by is what has changed that enables us to remove the user = Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["user_token"]), session_id: session["live_socket_id"], and current_user: user lines from wrong_live.ex per this guidance on page 60: “With this in place, we can remove the auth code from the WrongLive’s own mount function.”

I have re-read this section several times, but I am still not understanding what that comment (# Specify the shared on_mount callback here) means, since those two router.ex code snippets are otherwise identical.

Marked As Solved

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Thanks for all the feedback! The upcoming beta release of the book should include the following:

  • An initial version of the mount function in GuessLive that looks up the current user and adds them to socket assigns
  • A clarification that the ‘guess’ live route will already be added to the live session that uses the generated ensure_authenticated on_mount function from the start

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: