novitk

novitk

Modern Systems Programming with Scala Native - Printf wrapper doesn't look to be in v0.4.0-M2

the subj.

novitk@DESKTOP-KN:~/repos/scala-native$ grep -m 1 -B 10 printf clib/src/main/scala/scala/scalanative/libc/package.scala
package scala.scalanative
import scalanative.unsafe._
import scalanative.libc.stdio

package object libc {
implicit class StdioHelpers(val _stdio: libc.stdio.type) extends AnyVal {
def printf(format: CString, args: CVarArg*): CInt =
novitk@DESKTOP-KN:~/repos/scala-native$ diff <(git ls-tree --name-only -r master clib) <(git ls-tree --name-only -r tags/v0.4.0-M2 clib)
6d5
< clib/src/main/scala/scala/scalanative/libc/package.scala

Most Liked

neozenith

neozenith

I’m running into the same issue regarding printf if I follow writing out the code as it is shown in the book.

I tried looking up the official documentation to see where printf is defined and the docs have dead links.
https://scala-native.readthedocs.io/en/v0.3.9-docs/lib/libc.html

Dead link:
https://github.com/scala-native/scala-native/blob/master/nativelib/src/main/scala/scala/scalanative/native/stdlib.scala

Real link:

So nativelib was renamed to clib. So to be fair, scala-native is v0.3.9 and not stabilised yet so these quirks are part of the territory for bleeding edge.

Circling back to the pragprog listing though, I downloaded the latest source code which adds a compat.scala file which remaps printf to vprintf.

package scala.scalanative
import scalanative.unsafe._
import scalanative.libc.stdio

package object libc {
  implicit class StdioHelpers(val _stdio: libc.stdio.type) extends AnyVal {
    def printf(format: CString, args: CVarArg*): CInt =
      Zone { implicit z =>
        stdio.vprintf(format, toCVarArgList(args.toSeq))
      }

// Other unrelated code truncated

   }
}

If I download the source from:
http://media.pragprog.com/titles/rwscala/code/rwscala-code.zip

Extract it.

Then cd into code/InputAndOutput/hello_native and run sbt run it works.

Also I thought it was a typo between the “hello” and “hello_native” projects but it seems like capitalising the object name Main is important when linking.

hello/hello.scala

object main { 
  def main(args:Array[String]) { 
    println("hello, world!")
  }
}

hello_native/hello.scala

import scala.scalanative.unsafe._
import scala.scalanative.libc._

object Main {
  def main(args: Array[String]): Unit = {
    stdio.printf(c"Hello native %s!\n", c"world")
  }
}

After some digging it seems you can use vprintf directly using the following snippet:

import scala.scalanative.unsafe._
import scala.scalanative.libc._

object Main {
  def main(args: Array[String]) {
    Zone { implicit z =>
      stdio.vprintf(c"Hello native %s!\n", toCVarArgList(c"world"))
    }
  }
}

Using vprintf gave me the error “Given method requires an implicit zone”.

https://scala-native.readthedocs.io/en/v0.3.9-docs/user/interop.html#memory-management

Adding the Zone { implicit z => ..... } creates a section of code to help with unmanaged memory allocations like our CVarArgList.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=&gt; (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
creminology
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: