AstonJ

AstonJ

Language Core Teams - how big are they and does it matter?

Just wondering about this - generally how big are the core teams of programming languages?

Do larger teams progress more quickly than smaller teams?

Are there notable differences between languages with big/small teams?

Do you have a preference even - are you swayed by the size of a team? :upside_down_face:

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I don’t idolize Linus but the added context here is that the Linux kernel is a very sensitive project in many regards (don’t break user code, prioritize performance, try and do a good job security-wise etc.) and there’s a steep learning curve before participating. Linus is kind of right part of the time when he gets angry at people who never bothered to learn the basics on how to participate.

I mean, that’s like going to a job interview at NASA without having interest in physics and astronomy.

So again, the guy can be a douche but I feel such a gatekeeper is needed for a high-profile project like the Linux kernel.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Gate-keeping is fine… but it doesn’t hurt to be polite :blush: I have a policy for being nice, tolerant and understanding to all but those who are not nice, intolerant or malicious.

Making concessions is good as well. Someone’s personal circumstances can provide context. Someone brought up in a modern country today, will more likely to be progressive than someone brought up in a developing country 50 years ago. In the same vein, a noob may not be as au fait with things as someone who’s been doing it or been around for a while.

That’s just the ideal tho, at least imo - everyone’s different and we all slip up from time to time.

herminiotorres

herminiotorres

I think the team size it’s not so much important… IMHO, the biggest and important thing its who much diversity not only in technical skills the team should be applying new cool features and handle the best way the real-world problems.

Automate such route things like mix and hex handle perfectly and use the language for programmers to use and do their jobs more fun and enjoyable.

The community born around the language needs to be inclusive no hostile, this another thing, and this always starts with a team, more people could come to language to doing contributes tough.

My principal language is Ruby and is the biggest of my new language I would like to use in the feature, by the way, is the Elixir. And they both are a good language ecosystem and community too as well, and if you analyze the javascript ecosystem and you definitely could see so much hostile environment most people stop to contribute and create their solutions, the biggest deal its create you’re transpile for Javascript, e.g Typescript, Elm, ReasonML and other and other and other, and you stop and see the big picture your community are so fragmented and the initial propose about the language does more matter.

And another example is kernel Linux is such a hostile OSS project and we see many people stop contributing because of the many dump garbage words their receive from Linus.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
AstonJ
:smiling_imp: What is your preferred syntax style and why? Perhaps we can add examples and use the code below as a simple reference poi...
New
chasekaylee
Hi everyone! I have been in the professional industry for ~2 years now coming from a boot camp. I started a base foundation by programmin...
New
AstonJ
Want to plug where you work? Here’s your chance! Perhaps you could also mention what kind of stuff you’re working on? :nerd_face:
New
jamiedumont
This is all going to be a bit hand-wavey and straight off the top of my head, so bear with me, but it’s a thought/debate that’s been ratt...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
ohm
I just switched jobs to tech lead with a small team of about 6 other developer. This is my first tech lead job. What do I need to know? A...
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
DevotionGeo
I am planning to refresh my Ruby knowledge in a month or two, after using other technologies more frequently for a few years. Luckily I w...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New