CommunityNews

CommunityNews

For developers, Apple’s Safari is crap and outdated

Until its recent demise, Internet Explorer was the browser hated most by web developers.

Internet Explorer is now a thing of the past, replaced by the far-better Microsoft Edge.

Why did developers and software engineers hate IE so much? Because IE was seriously outdated, lacking support for cutting-edge web APIs and technologies enabling the modern websites and web apps we use today.

With IE now out of the way, the distinction of ‘most-hated browser’ goes to Apple’s Safari – which all along had been a close second to IE.

In a similar vein, Safari has consistently lagged behind competing browsers in supporting modern web APIs and features, presenting considerable challenges for developers wanting to create products that work consistently across all the major browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari).

However, the annoyance with Safari gets deeper and more nuanced, which I’ll explain further below.

Read in full here:

https://blog.perrysun.com/2021/07/15/for-developers-safari-is-crap-and-outdated/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

ohm

ohm

I’ve been trying to use Safari for work for the past month. I feel like I kept running into walls. Lack of extensions was a big thing.

One of the things that annoyed me the most, was that if you put YouTube videos in 2x speed it distorts the audio (sounds metallic and inside a box) whereas setting in 2x on Chrome doesn’t give the same distortion.

I don’t think that’s a good idea. If anything we should have less legislation around software. As long as the operating systems providers do not have a monopoly - and are not actively blocking the use of other software, I don’t see why we need to have our politicians and lawmakers involved.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Don’t forget that Opera was bought by a Chinese ad network as well. :grin:

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

AstonJ
If you’ve been looking for a guide on how to a clean macOS install then you’re in luck! I used to do them religiously every major release...
New
First poster: bot
Apple’s Shifting Differentiation. Apple is about the integration of hardware and software, but the balance between the two has shifted o...
New
First poster: bot
mikelxc/Workarounds-for-ARM-mac. This repository describes how I get most of my configurations work on the new Apple Silicon Mac - mikel...
New
New
First poster: bot
Library Extension helps you find library books, but it doesn’t work on Safari—yet. At WWDC 2020, Apple announced it was going to support...
New
First poster: bot
Yesterday, a short Twitter thread by the excellent Jeff Johnson caught my eye. Since he often deletes past tweets, I’ll quote the relevan...
New
First poster: bot
Apple has acquired about 100 companies over the last six years, the company’s chief executive Tim Cook has revealed. That works out at a...
New
First poster: bot
Doing high-performance 3D rendering on the Web has always been a tricky proposition. WebGL, in its quest for programmer familiarity and ...
New
First poster: bot
MainActor is a new attribute introduced in Swift 5.5 as a global actor providing an executor which performs its tasks on the main thread....
New
AstonJ
Well my dev environment started to mess up so thought it was time for a clean install - I’ve been meaning to do one for a while anyway. T...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New