CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Fed up with the Mac, I spent six months with a Linux laptop. The grass is not greener on the other side

Fed up with the Mac, I spent six months with a Linux laptop. The grass is not greener on the other side

April 02, 2021 — Carlos Fenollosa

This article is part of a series:

  1. Seven years later, I bought a new Macbook. For the first time, I don’t love it
  2. How I moved my setup from a Mac to a Linux laptop
  3. This article
  4. (TBD) My review of the M1 Macbook Air

Due to very bad decisions by Apple’s product marketing teams, Mac hardware and software had been in steady decline since 2016.

Therefore, there has been a trickle of articles on the Geekosphere about people switching from Macs to Linux or Windows.

This is the contrarian view. Don’t do it…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

AstonJ
This is a good guide about what to look for when getting a retina/non-retina monitor for your Mac. In short, around 110PPI is a good fit...
New
New
New
First poster: bot
The Mac has always been very different from its close relative, iOS, especially when it comes to what a user is or is not allowed to run ...
New
First poster: bot
While for the most part, the war of words between the tech titans has remained professional, Mark Zuckerberg and Tim Cook have also share...
New
First poster: bot
Hardware Security and Biometrics System Security Encryption and Data Protection App Security Services Security Network Sec...
New
First poster: bot
Apple announced that it would be moving from Intel processors to Arm-based Apple Silicon CPUs for Macs at WWDC 2020. The Apple Silicon-ba...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
Meet Safari 15: redesigned and ready to help people explore the web. Discover how you can approach designing websites and apps for Safari...
New
First poster: bot
MainActor is a new attribute introduced in Swift 5.5 as a global actor providing an executor which performs its tasks on the main thread....
New
First poster: bot
Why aren’t the most useful Mac apps on the App Store?. While developing a simple app that I really wanted to publish on the App Store, I...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New