TomMahon

TomMahon

Author of Charged Bodies, People. Power and the Paradoxes that formed Silicon Valley

Dick Steinheimer, Product photographer, Artisan

Dick Steinheimer, “Stein” as he refers to himself, shares a small office space near the Bayshore Freeway now. His aren’t the habits of today’s fashionable leather-jacket-and-jeans artisan. Rather, he looks as if he’d be more at home in a small town in the Southwest, sporting some silver and turquoise jewelry, selling his photos of desert sunrises.**

Stein’s profession is high-tech photographer. One of the first to photograph microelectronic devices for sales brochures. In time such work will be considered high-art and appear in museums and art galleries.

Stein has another life he didn’t mention in our meeting. I discovered later that he was also a pioneer in railroad photography and documented American railroad’s transition from steam locomotives to diesel during the second half of the 20th Century. He has been called the “Ansel Adams of railroad photography”

But his work with chips isn’t in magazines or books, it’s in slim marketing brochures and sales pieces he keeps filed away.
Yet in spite of the overtly commercial context of the work, Stein and the other photographers of early microelectronic devices were creating a new genre that would later become recognized as a legitimate art form when others created similar works for the covers of Scientific American, Omni and High Technology.

When he was hired by Fairchild in the early ‘60s, it was the beginning of a new world for him. “Here we had a field with all kinds of subjects, of people, of processes, of products. . . with very few pictures ever taken of them. For a person like myself, who liked to experiment, liked to take things and try to deduce some of their meanings by photographing them . . . wow! It was fantastic!”

“Bob Noyce, the general manager there, was a delight. Approachable, not always talkative. Once, there was a very serious meeting with customers, and during the meeting Bob’s secretary came in and handed him a little written message. Just real smoothly, he got up and said, ‘Well, gentlemen, I think I’m going to have to go now, but I’m sure that you can conclude the meeting.’”

The salesman was awfully curious, because he had seen Bob throw the wadded note in the trash basket. So he went over and opened it and it said, ‘Your wife just called and wants you to come home immediately. The burro has gotten out again.’ “

There were so many unassuming men of extraordinary accomplishment then, according to Stein. Like a quiet engineer who went modestly about his work in a back lab Fairchild. “All the guy ever did was lay the groundwork for today’s digital voltmeter. Well, wow! That’s like inventing bread. These inventions were coming up around us like that all the time.”

Photos, copyrights owned by respective copyright holders

Dick Steinheimer, master photographer of chips and trains, closeup of early Fairchild Semiconductor

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

AstonJ
I’ve just discovered that @asgartech is a writer! And a pretty good one at that - according to his goodreads reviews - and that got me wo...
New
Rainer
We already have a Thread about new Hardware here: But what about all the other nerdy things? :wink: Did you get any new cool gadgets? ...
New
Jsdr3398
Not sure why, does anyone else feel the same way? And could you maybe tell me why you feel Apple is evil and is scamming people off their...
New
jaeyson
Where should a Junior Elixir Dev focused first? what projects should I create? my current work has nothing to do with specifically Elixir...
New
AstonJ
Are you reading any non-programming related books, if so what, and what did you think of them?
New
AntonRich
I like learning languages, but since learning English (which of course I can improve) I didn’t know which one I want to learn first. I’m ...
New
First poster: bot
Abstract U.S. government concerns about great disparities in housing conditions are at least 100 years old. For the first 50 years of thi...
New
First poster: gflashner
Ben Affleck Says He’s Done With DC Films, No Matter Who’s in Charge. Ben Affleck had such a horrible time making Justice League, he bowe...
New
TomMahon
Dick Steinheimer, “Stein” as he refers to himself, shares a small office space near the Bayshore Freeway now. His aren’t the habits of to...
New
alvinkatojr
Here is an interesting article from Tammy, who is an editor from Pragmatic. It talks about the lack of attention and care to detail in to...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New