TomMahon

TomMahon

Author of Charged Bodies, People. Power and the Paradoxes that formed Silicon Valley

The digital revolution was never meant to go this way

In 1984, when I wrote CHARGED BODIES, my history of the creation of Silicon Valley, the Mac promised to be “the computer for the rest of us.”

Forty years on, in 2024, Apple brags it will crush human creativity — and spirit — to grow beyond its trillion-dollar valuation. As in the Apple one-minute ad for the new iPad Pro Plus

Apple makes it official on behalf of the entire tech industry that any work of human creativity not digitally generated has no value.

CHARGED BODIES recounts the first years of the digital revolution in Silicon Valley, when the goal was to increase human productivity, not reduce us and our descendants to data-point playthings in the hands of multi-billionaires.

For nearly twenty years we have allowed ourselves to be trapped in digital lobster traps. It was so easy to enter, but now almost impossible to escape.

Public attention must be paid NOW. We are running out of time to claim our humanity back from a small clique of multi-billionaires who hope that AI will soon make them multi-trillionaires. We will

To quote the guy who interrupted breakfast at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941: “This is not a goddam drill. We are under a goddam attack.”

(The 40th Anniversary edition of CHARGED BODIES points back to some of the original hopes at the beginning of the digital revolution. It is available now at Amazon.)


Most Liked

TomMahon

TomMahon

Author of Charged Bodies, People. Power and the Paradoxes that formed Silicon Valley

Ashton, You are right. This vapid fog of celebs, digital-illuminati and hangers-on has truly gone over the top with no end in sight. We have to stop watching because they won’t stop preening.

fullstackplus

fullstackplus

I agree that the ad is tasteless. But let’s look at this from a different perspective: does Apple actually come to your house and destroy your piano and your watercolors?

No. You can buy a different kind of tablet (Windows, Linux). Whatever tablet you buy. you can choose to use only the features that enhance your creativity, instead of discouraging it.

You can learn how to draw using pen & paper in your free time.

These are just tools, The decisions are ours on how to use them.

TomMahon

TomMahon

Author of Charged Bodies, People. Power and the Paradoxes that formed Silicon Valley

You are right, creative people gonna be creative. But un-creative people are filling the pipelines with drek, making it harder for talent to be seen.

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

AstonJ
I’ve just discovered that @asgartech is a writer! And a pretty good one at that - according to his goodreads reviews - and that got me wo...
New
AstonJ
I love real wood furniture, floors, worktops and have been thinking about learning! Which got me thinking, anybody have any other skills...
New
Rainer
We already have a Thread about new Hardware here: But what about all the other nerdy things? :wink: Did you get any new cool gadgets? ...
New
CommunityNews
Like many of the virus’s hardest hit victims, the United States went into the COVID-19 pandemic wracked by preexisting conditions. A fray...
New
AstonJ
Are you reading any non-programming related books, if so what, and what did you think of them?
New
AntonRich
I like learning languages, but since learning English (which of course I can improve) I didn’t know which one I want to learn first. I’m ...
New
jaeyson
I’m wondering how you journal or keep track with your learning. I myself using diary (just timestamp and quick summary on what I did), bu...
New
Margaret
You can now get the ebook version of Bruce Tate’s @redrapids new book, Currently Away, which is the story of how he and Maggie Tate took ...
New
TomMahon
In 1984, when I wrote CHARGED BODIES, my history of the creation of Silicon Valley, the Mac promised to be “the computer for the rest of ...
New
alvinkatojr
Here is an interesting article from Tammy, who is an editor from Pragmatic. It talks about the lack of attention and care to detail in to...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New