CommunityNews

CommunityNews

America's 1% Has Taken $50T From the Bottom 90%

Like many of the virus’s hardest hit victims, the United States went into the COVID-19 pandemic wracked by preexisting conditions. A fraying public health infrastructure, inadequate medical supplies, an employer-based health insurance system perversely unsuited to the moment—these and other afflictions are surely contributing to the death toll. But in addressing the causes and consequences of this pandemic—and its cruelly uneven impact—the elephant in the room is extreme income inequality.

How big is this elephant? A staggering $50 trillion. That is how much the upward redistribution of income has cost American workers over the past several decades…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

First Post!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Since a few of us are focused on ethics in tech, I wonder if we should create a portal for ethics related topics too :nerd_face: (a bit like our Diversity Community Portal | Devtalk).

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

AstonJ
I love real wood furniture, floors, worktops and have been thinking about learning! Which got me thinking, anybody have any other skills...
New
AstonJ
Whether related to dev/tech or not :upside_down_face:
New
Jsdr3398
Not sure why, does anyone else feel the same way? And could you maybe tell me why you feel Apple is evil and is scamming people off their...
New
CommunityNews
Like many of the virus’s hardest hit victims, the United States went into the COVID-19 pandemic wracked by preexisting conditions. A fray...
New
jaeyson
Where should a Junior Elixir Dev focused first? what projects should I create? my current work has nothing to do with specifically Elixir...
New
AstonJ
Are you reading any non-programming related books, if so what, and what did you think of them?
New
jaeyson
I’m wondering how you journal or keep track with your learning. I myself using diary (just timestamp and quick summary on what I did), bu...
New
First poster: gflashner
Ben Affleck Says He’s Done With DC Films, No Matter Who’s in Charge. Ben Affleck had such a horrible time making Justice League, he bowe...
New
TomMahon
In 1984, when I wrote CHARGED BODIES, my history of the creation of Silicon Valley, the Mac promised to be “the computer for the rest of ...
New
TomMahon
Dick Steinheimer, “Stein” as he refers to himself, shares a small office space near the Bayshore Freeway now. His aren’t the habits of to...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New