jaeyson

jaeyson

How do you "journal" your own progress with learning

I’m wondering how you journal or keep track with your learning. I myself using diary (just timestamp and quick summary on what I did), but I’m sure there’s more ways to skin a cat :upside_down_face:.

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

I have notebooks where I scribble things. Also I am more of a “doer” so all I learn are in code form as well.

I intend to maintain more public blog from next year. My target learning topics for next year are functional data structures and algorithms so there will be lots of asking for reviews from the experts :slight_smile:

mafinar

mafinar

Yes I had posted it here. Let me get you the link Here is the link

I am trying to see algorithms that I was taught back in college through a functional lens (no pun) and using Elixir and F# as implementation languages. I will start posting about them in a blog from next year. I have put a pause on the “public” part of that because I am right now learning and filling up notebooks on various algorithms and implementations in Elixir. In my experience, the moment you (really) understand zippers a big functional aha moment, but that experience works best when you have a paper with you at all times. Then there’s also Advent of Code that’s keeping me distracted from that goal. :wink:

AstonJ

AstonJ

I’m the same as Mafinar, I write notes in a notebook for anything I think I might need to remember. Or I highlight, eg:

:023:

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

AstonJ
I’ve just discovered that @asgartech is a writer! And a pretty good one at that - according to his goodreads reviews - and that got me wo...
New
AstonJ
I love real wood furniture, floors, worktops and have been thinking about learning! Which got me thinking, anybody have any other skills...
New
Jsdr3398
Not sure why, does anyone else feel the same way? And could you maybe tell me why you feel Apple is evil and is scamming people off their...
New
CommunityNews
Like many of the virus’s hardest hit victims, the United States went into the COVID-19 pandemic wracked by preexisting conditions. A fray...
New
jaeyson
Where should a Junior Elixir Dev focused first? what projects should I create? my current work has nothing to do with specifically Elixir...
New
First poster: bot
Abstract U.S. government concerns about great disparities in housing conditions are at least 100 years old. For the first 50 years of thi...
New
First poster: gflashner
Ben Affleck Says He’s Done With DC Films, No Matter Who’s in Charge. Ben Affleck had such a horrible time making Justice League, he bowe...
New
Margaret
You can now get the ebook version of Bruce Tate’s @redrapids new book, Currently Away, which is the story of how he and Maggie Tate took ...
New
TomMahon
Dick Steinheimer, “Stein” as he refers to himself, shares a small office space near the Bayshore Freeway now. His aren’t the habits of to...
New
alvinkatojr
Here is an interesting article from Tammy, who is an editor from Pragmatic. It talks about the lack of attention and care to detail in to...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New