zilton7

zilton7

Why I Stopped Using Docker in Development

Discussing the decision to move away from using Docker for local development due to performance overhead and increased complexity. Highlighting issues like slow file system syncing on non-Linux systems and the friction Docker adds to daily debugging workflows.

Most Liked

mortz

mortz

I primarily develop applications in python and the language ecosystem offers some tools to manage different versions of the language and different versions of the libraries etc. Why is using something like nix or flox better? Is it fair to say that the advantage of using nix/flox are much more for developers using multiple languages?

gfqdjb

gfqdjb

I wouldn’t say dev containers, Devbox, or similar tools are strictly “better”. It really depends on your needs. That said, here are a few reasons people might choose them over language specific tools:

  • System-level dependencies: you can manage compilers, libraries, shells, databases, CLI tools, etc., all in one place alongside your language tooling (like you mentioned).

  • Easier onboarding: language-specific tools usually don’t handle system-level requirements, so it’s pretty common to run into issues when setting up a dev environment for a new project.

  • Developer experience: sometimes it just comes down to preferring the workflow these tools offer.

Personally, I like the idea of frictionless, reproducible environments and using the same tools everywhere, no matter what language a project is built in.

mercyf

mercyf

Is Kamal only for Rails? Anything similar for ASP.NET Core apps?

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
New
First poster: wolf4earth
Understanding Partial Moves in Rust. Partial moves are an interesting but often misunderstood feature of Rust. However, with the right ...
New
First poster: bot
In a previous post we talked about implementing a simple video chat with WebRTC and Elixir. This update will touch on some of the API cha...
New
paulanthonywilson
Post on using UDP multicasting with Elixir to broadcast presence, and listen for peers, on a local network. I have found this approach us...
New
First poster: bot
Like, on a scale from c to rust? issue c zig (release-safe) rust (release) out-of-bounds heap read/write none runtime runtime ...
New
elbrujohalcon
Erlang is famous for its introspecting powers. You can get a lot of information about the processes running in your nodes without any ext...
New
brainlid
There is a new community resource available on writing “Safe Ecto Migrations”. When we get a migration wrong, it can lock up your product...
New
tonyxrandall
As DoorDash transitioned from Python monolith to Kotlin microservices, our engineering team was presented with a lot of opportunities to ...
New
fullstackplus
The Ruby ecosystem is rich with tools that make us developers more productive at what we do. Both Rails and Sinatra have been used to bui...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New