CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Ruby Structs

Ruby’s Struct is one of several powerful core classes which is often overlooked and under utilized compared to the more popular Hash class. This is a shame and I’m often surprised when working with others who don’t know about structs or, worse, abuse them entirely. I’d like to set the record straight by sharing the joy of structs with you and how you can leverage their power to improve your Ruby code further. :rocket:

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

From SO:

OpenStruct objects are useful when you need something to fit a certain method call interface (i.e. send in a duck-typed object responding to #name and #value ), or when you want to encapsulate the implementation details, but also want to avoid over-engineering the solution. They also make an awesome stub object, and I often use them in place of framework stubs when I don’t need the overhead of a stub/mock.

You’ll just have to get over your dislike of Ruby and write a few apps in it ODL - just so you can see why so many people love it :003: :lol:

Maartz

Maartz

Same. I’ve never used Ruby Structs… I learn about them like a week ago in this post from Alchemist up above.

Also never encountered it in any codebase so far…

Maartz

Maartz

True!

Finally, we have OpenStruct which is part of Ruby Core as well. At this point, you might be thinking: “Hey, looks like an OpenStruct is better in terms of melding Struct and Classsyntax and functionality.” Well, you’d be very wrong in terms of performance but, as mentioned with Class usage, I promise to expand upon this more later.

Warming up --------------------------------------

               Array     2.000  i/100ms
                Hash     1.000  i/100ms
              Struct     1.000  i/100ms
          OpenStruct     1.000  i/100ms
               Class     1.000  I/100ms

Calculating -------------------------------------

               Array     23.854  (± 0.0%) i/s -    120.000  in   5.030763s
                Hash      8.908  (±11.2%) i/s -     45.000  in   5.072652s
              Struct      4.798  (± 0.0%) i/s -     24.000  in   5.005263s
          OpenStruct      0.178  (± 0.0%) i/s -      1.000  in   5.618325s
               Class      4.230  (± 0.0%) i/s -     22.000  in   5.203019s

Comparison:

               Array:       23.9 i/s
                Hash:        8.9 i/s - 2.68x  (± 0.00) slower
              Struct:        4.8 i/s - 4.97x  (± 0.00) slower
               Class:        4.2 i/s - 5.64x  (± 0.00) slower
          OpenStruct:        0.2 i/s - 134.02x  (± 0.00) slower

Still it seems that Structs are faster, but if it was, why is not idiomatic to use them ?
And use a class for “singleton instance” and struct for the rest like in Swift.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

Scorpil
I dabbled in Phoenix for a while now, but never really got my hands dirty with it right up until now. Apart from the whole framework bein...
New
First poster: bot
Taking PHP Seriously - Slack Engineering. Slack uses PHP for most of its server-side application logic, which is an unusual choice these...
New
First poster: bot
We all know how to teach recursion. We’ve done it for decades. We pick some honored, time-tested examples—Fibonacci numbers and factorial...
New
AstonJ
Just finished doing a clean install of macOS (which I highly recommend btw!) and have updated my macOS Ruby & Elixir/Erlang dev env s...
New
paulanthonywilson
So you’re enjoying using WebSockets with Elixir’s Phoenix Framework, and you want to send some binary messages. Maybe it’s an audio clip,...
New
First poster: dimitarvp
I’ve spent the last year building keyboards, which has included writing firmware for a variety custom circuit boards. I initially wrote ...
New
paulanthonywilson
Following up on the previous post on using UDP multicasting to broadcast and detect peers on a network, I create a registry of those peer...
New
First poster: bot
PHP 8.1 is already taking shape quite well, yet there’s one feature I’d love to see added, that’s still being discussed: multi-line short...
New
StuntProgrammer
In building lofi.limo, media storage and distribution naturally came up. I have songs, announcements, and background image loops which I ...
New
brainlid
Jason Stiebs shows a couple ways for a LiveView to make it easy for users to click and copy an important value to their clipboard. He sho...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New