AstonJ

AstonJ

Euruko Keynote: Beyond Ruby 3.0 (Yukihiro Matsumoto)

Includes talk about concurrency and performance topics:

Most Liked

ohm

ohm

Think of Matz as the “CEO” of Ruby. He’s not the one writing all the code. He’s not the one coming up with all the ideas. But he is the one, who have to be responsible for everything. He’s the face of Ruby. To that, yes, he’s playing with technology. He has to. He’s looking for what’s next for Ruby to pursue. That’s how we got Ractors. Matz started that project many years ago, by experimenting with different actor libraries and such.

You’ll see that the world disagrees with you here. Take a look at for example Shopify and GitHub. Both use Ruby extensively and both drive it forward, with for example Sorbet.

Why are people still using C? C was released almost 50 years ago. It doesn’t have garbage collection. You need to manage memory references yourself. There’s no classes or objects or anything. Different programming languages meet different needs. You want speed? Go for C. You want human-programmable? Go for Ruby.

If you go to your local grocery store, you’ll probably see a bunch of different brands of orange juice. Why do you think that is? I assume it’s because they each seek to fulfil a different need in their customers. Some are organic, some are with pulp, some without. Some are with sugar, some without. I see the different programming languages the same way. I would never use Ruby for making a stock trader, it’s not what the language is meant to be doing. A web app? Sure! I can even write one pretty fast with the current libraries and offerings.

Rewriting something just for the sake of having it written in some other language is, in my opinion, just as much a waste of time and energy. What’s wrong with MRI being written in C? Do you see many type errors or mutability errors in the interpreter itself?

That seem to be where we are headed. Especially with the # frozen_string_literal: true magic comments. However, as Matz discussed in the video, you can’t just say “From tomorrow all strings will be immutable” That would split the community in the same way we saw with Python2 and Python3.

I don’t think there’s such a thing as a “perfect language”. There’s no “one size fits all” solution to programming.

Yup. And still, we don’t see any other languages being so massively concurrent at its core. Why is that?

That’s exactly where it becomes important! If the language you use is unintuitive and unnatural, you’ll be making a ton more mistakes than if it wasn’t. Sure, if you want a job, where you have to write a thesis before you can start coding, you shouldn’t use Ruby, but Ruby is so intuitive that I believe I could have even my mom write most basic programs and understand what’s going on.

The beauty of civilised online debates. :heart: :tada:

Oh yes, indeed. I haven’t had the chance to fiddle with RBS or even Sorbet yet, but I am overjoyed that they exist and help make the world a (type) safer place :laughing:

I want in on the heart situation here: :black_heart::purple_heart::green_heart:And I hope that everybody reading this knows, that no ill intensions have ever been made. The internet and thus written communication can often be difficult, because you can’t convey tone and mimic. It gets even worse when the language you’re communicating in isn’t your own. (I tend to write more formel in English than I would in Danish)

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Surely you mean 1400 and not 14, right? RIGHT?! :grin:

ohm

ohm

Argh, I’m so behind on all the conference videos! I still have 14 tabs open from RailsConf. :railway_track:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
The Race to Replace C & C++. Three expert compiler writers sit down to discuss moving beyond C and C++ This thread...
New
prajaut
Being a part of the tech industry, it would be good to share thoughts on specific technologies. Having surrounded by skilled and experie...
/go
New
First poster: Exadra37
Summary: I describe a simple interview problem (counting frequencies of unique words), solve it in various languages, and compare perform...
New
First poster: AstonJ
They expect you to make a onepage application (SPA) The polaris design system officially only supports react Integration with the s...
New
First poster: bot
PHP 8.1 is already taking shape quite well, yet there’s one feature I’d love to see added, that’s still being discussed: multi-line short...
New
New
tonyxrandall
When DoorDash approached the limits of what our Django-based monolithic codebase could support, we needed to design a new stack that woul...
New
RudManusachi
Hi there! Recently I was playing around with extracting and updating data in the DB and for fun challenged myself to try to implement a ...
New
StuntProgrammer
In building lofi.limo, media storage and distribution naturally came up. I have songs, announcements, and background image loops which I ...
New
ragamuf
Does the world need another How to create a blog article? Maybe not. But then again, creating something out of nothing is what we love....
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New