CommunityNews

CommunityNews

At least one Vim trick you might not know

At least one Vim trick you might not know • Hillel Wayne.
I’ve been using Vim for eight years and am still discovering new things. This is usually seen as a Good Thing About Vim. In my head, though, it’s a failing of discoverability: I keep discovering new things because Vim makes it so hard to know what’s available.
While people often talk about the beauty of modal editing or text objects, I don’t think that gets at the essence of Vim.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our automated news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
AstonJ
Inspired by some of the comments in our https://forum.devtalk.com/t/your-vim-tips/4748 (in particular those by Mafinar and Hallski) …what...
New
First poster: bot
At least one Vim trick you might not know • Hillel Wayne. I’ve been using Vim for eight years and am still discovering new things. This...
New
First poster: bot
In 2018 Bryan Cantrill gave a brilliant talk where he shared his recent experiences with the Rust programming language. More profoundly, ...
New
ankur
I am thinking of switching to Onivim from VSCode Vim since VSCode Vim supports limited Vim features . Would like to hear from the current...
New
herminiotorres
Someone where use Doom Emacs right now? I like to starting this topic to discuss it and learn a little bit more, not just only the emacs ...
New
First poster: bot
Goodwill Strikes Again A symptom of heavy Vim usage is that your brain begins to re-partition old memories for keyboard shortcuts— trashi...
New
CommunityNews
Neorg is a tool designed to reimagine organization as you know it. Neo - new, org - organization. Grab some coffee, start writing some no...
New
First poster: bot
Vim’s netrw file browser is good enough. With a few tweaks there is no need for plugin like NERDtree. For many tasks you may not even nee...
New
sona11
I want to declare max of length in case condition i.e 7 but getting a syntax error near select in this code. DECLARE @SQ Int(MAX) SELEC...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New