lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

Video: Using Gleam's 'try' syntax by Michael Jones

Michael published this video today on the how and why of Gleam’s new try syntax. I thought it would be a good first bit of content to share here on devtalk.

I hope he makes more Gleam educational snippets in future!

Most Liked

rasputin303

rasputin303

I liked this, and your Elm video too!

One other thing that might confuse people about the try syntax is what to do if your results have different error types. If you are looking for ideas for videos, maybe a follow-up about how to use map_error would be useful too.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I reckon Michael should sign up gleam[casts].com! He’s got a good voice and everything was at a relaxed pace which is ideal for screencasts imo :+1: (I don’t think he’s signed up yet otherwise I would have @'d him, haha!)

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

At the moment the plan is to only have this Result specialisation. Later we may introduce traits, interfaces, or some other form of metaprogramming/ad-hoc polymorphism, at which point we could look at expanding this.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Adoption is more than programming. To successfully take your application from start to finish, you’re going to need to know more than jus...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Elixir's straightforward syntax and this guided tour give you a clean, simple path to learn modern functional programming techniques. Exp...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
You want increased customer satisfaction, faster development cycles, and less wasted work. Domain-driven design (DDD) and functional prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Classroom-tested by tens of thousands of students, this new edition of the bestselling intro to programming book is for anyone who wants ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Go from messy, unstructured artifacts stored in SQL and NoSQL databases to a neat, well-organized dataset with this quick reference for t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Expand your knowledge of the Raspberry Pi while building nearly a dozen immediately applicable hardware and software projects. Use Python...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Communicate more clearly, refactor more effectively, and save time with attractive diagrams that only take minutes to make with open sour...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage serverless technologies on Cloudflare's global platform to build a variety of applications more easily and quickly. Ashley ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New