CommunityNews

CommunityNews

The History of Franz and Lisp

The History of Franz and Lisp.
In 1984, while a graduate student in mathematics and in the relatively new Computer Science Department at the University of California at Berkeley, Fritz Kunze founded Franz, Inc. along with a few fellow students and one professor. Their mission was to commercialize a programming language known as Lisp (originally LISP for LISt Processor), which for a moment in time was the most widely used in the world for artificial intelligence and expert system applications.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

davearonson

davearonson

Wow, I remember using Franz Lisp on a VAX running BSD in 1982 or so. (Yes I’m old.)

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
Powerful, flexible, complex: The origins of C++ date back 40 years, yet it remains one of the most widely used programming languages toda...
New
First poster: bot
There is a long, difficult road from vague, pie-in-the-sky ideas about what would be cool to have in a new programming language, to a rob...
New
First poster: bot
As I continue to work on Cyberscore, I keep finding new quirks / features in PHP and MySQL. All of the tests below are being run on mysql...
New
CommunityNews
Microsoft is trying to leapfrog competitors like Google and Amazon as they face record antitrust scrutiny. The big picture: The deals ...
New
CommunityNews
Tails is a minimal, fast Forth-like interpreter core. It uses no assembly code, only C++, but an elegant tail-recursion technique inspire...
New
First poster: bot
Metaprogramming in Nim #1 Introduction. In this video i will show you and teach you about Nim’s Metaprogramming features/capabilities. E...
New
First poster: bot
Rubinius began as a metacircular implementation of Ruby and was billed as Ruby in Ruby. Today the core and much of the standard library, ...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - Vexu/arocc: A C compiler written in Zig… A C compiler written in Zig. Contribute to Vexu/arocc development by creating an accou...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
GitHub - mcobzarenco/zee: A modern text editor for the terminal written in Rust. A modern text editor for the terminal written in Rust -...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - nim-works/nimskull: An in development statically typed systems programming language; with sustainability at its core. We, the co...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New