gcapell

gcapell

Programming Elm: need to wait for DOMContentLoaded to getElementById?

When we first create picshare.js we’re told to link it from our HTML with

<script>
Elm.Picshare.init({node: document.getElementById('main')});
</script>

but when I try this it looks like the getElementById doesn’t find anything (I’ve got the script in my head node).
When I wrap it in a document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', (event) => {Elm.Picshare.init ... things work OK.
Was I doing something wrong?

Most Liked

jfairbank

jfairbank

Author of Programming Elm

Hi, @gcapell!

Thanks for the question and sorry for missing your question so long ago. We’ve been transitioning over with the new Prag site changes to these forums.

You can definitely place the script tags in the head if you like and then use the DOMContentLoaded event to kick off the initialization as you’ve already done.

The intent in the book was to place the script before the closing </body> tag, replacing the <!-- REPLACE ME --> comment. As long as the script tags are below the <div id="main"> tag, you don’t need the DOMContentLoaded event as that element will be available by that point. I can see how the book could be misleading, though, since it doesn’t explicitly say to put the scripts in the body.

Sorry for the confusion and glad you had figured out a way to fix it with the event.

Cheers!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
herminiotorres
Hi! I know not the intentions behind this narrative when called, on page XI: mount() |&gt; handle_event() |&gt; render() but the correc...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New

Sub Categories: