CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Podman: A Daemonless Container Engine

Podman is an open-source project that is available on most Linux platforms and resides on GitHub. Podman is a daemonless container engine for developing, managing, and running Open Container Initiative (OCI) containers and container images on your Linux System. Podman provides a Docker-compatible command line front end that can simply alias the Docker cli, alias docker=podman.

Containers under the control of Podman can either be run by root or by a non-privileged user. Podman manages the entire container ecosystem which includes pods, containers, container images, and container volumes using the libpod library. Podman specializes in all of the commands and functions that help you to maintain and modify OCI container images, such as pulling and tagging. It allows you to create, run, and maintain those containers created from those images in a production environment.

The Podman service runs only on Linux platforms, however a REST API and clients are currently under development which will allow Mac and Windows platforms to call the service. There is currently a Varlink based remote client which runs on Mac or Windows platforms that allows the remote client to talk to the Podman server on a Linux platform. In addition to those clients, there is also a Mac client.

https://podman.io/

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
RuboCop 1.0. If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0. RuboCop’s development started exactly 7 and half years ago. I made the ...
New
First poster: bot
Release Introducing rust-gpu v0.1 :dragon: · EmbarkStudios/rust-gpu. Today, we’re releasing a very early version of rust-gpu - a new pro...
New
mudasobwa
Tarearbol provides a handy helper to work with many similar processes under the supervision of Tarearbol.DynamicManager. To build a supe...
New
OrlaghNeary
First time posting here and disclaimer, I work with Microsoft! I partner with Microsoft Research and there are so many cool projects unde...
New
CommunityNews
Rhizome is a paedagogical just-in-time compiler (JIT) for Ruby, implemented in pure Ruby. It’s not really designed to be used. It’s desig...
New
First poster: bot
Check if an email address exists without sending any email, written in Rust.
New
First poster: GermaVinsmoke
This guide collects some of the most common functions of the Elixir Programming Language and explain them conceptual and graphically in a...
New
First poster: bot
YOCaml is a static site generator, mostly written in OCaml. The project was started to offer some rather naive examples of how to use the...
New
kirkjkrauss
I’m not the first developer to code a method dedicated to matching the classic ‘*’ and ‘?’ wildcards in Rust.  But I may be the first to...
New
sorcecoder
Hy guys, not sure how much I can share without being flagged as self promotion scam but I am working on a backend framework in rust that...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New