mursisoy
Network Programming in Elixir and Erlang:Designing a Simple Chat Protocol broadcast message (page 39)
The paragraph says:
When a client sends a broadcast message to the server,
from_usernamemust be an empty string. When the server sends a broadcast
message to clients,from_usernamewill be the username of the sender of the
broadcast message, or an empty string if the broadcast message comes from
the server itself.
However, in my opinion, when a client sends a broadcast message to the server, from_username should be the client’s actual username—not an empty string.
First Post!
whatyouhide
Elixir Core Team / Author of Testing Elixir
You have the client’s username already in the connection’s state. I added this to the para:
When a client sends a broadcast message to the server, `from_username` must be an empty string---the connection is already storing the client's username, so including it would be redundant.
Thank you!
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online:
p. 186 But...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116
Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile:
I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
Hi,
build fails on:
bracket-lib = “~0.8.1”
when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0:
Compiling winit v0.22.2
error[E0308]: mi...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9)
The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions:
In Gemfile, change
gem 'rails'
t...
New
I ran this command after installing the sample application:
$ cards add do something --owner Brian
And got a file not found error:
Fil...
New
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get:
pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7
ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error:
ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root},
This results in the following following error:
no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
Other popular topics
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
New
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig.
General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
This is cool!
DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON
We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
Background
Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /lua
- /markdown









