StuntProgrammer

StuntProgrammer

Media Storage and CDN with Phoenix and Elixir

In building lofi.limo, media storage and distribution naturally came up. I have songs, announcements, and background image loops which I want to store and distribute to listeners. Let’s take a look at how I’ve been able to do both without getting too fancy or spending too much money.

Most Liked

StuntProgrammer

StuntProgrammer

It seems to be. Is it giving you trouble?

AntonRich

AntonRich

@StuntProgrammer thank you for mentioning Tarsnap - is a storage where you pay for what you use. I might be using it in the future.

I have a question about them.

There are no other fees — Tarsnap has no fixed costs or minimum monthly fees.

You pay for what you use, nothing more.

So if I upload a 1gb movie there, I will pay just for 1gb storage once without a monthly fee?
But I will also pay when downloading the file?

StuntProgrammer

StuntProgrammer

There’s no /minimum/ monthly fee. There are charges for transfer in and out as well as for storage. In the scenario you describe, you’d pay for the upload, the download, and for storage as long as the data is in Tarsnap.

Transfer is billed by the byte (currently $0.00000000025/byte) and storage by the byte-month (currently $0.00000000025/byte-month).

So for your example, you’d pay $0.25 for the upload, $0.25 for the download, and $0.25 for each month the data is stored (supposing a GB is 1,000,000,000 bytes).

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
Julia is a scientific programming language that is free and open source.1 It is a relatively new language that borrows inspiration from l...
New
First poster: bot
What’s Next for Teal, the typed dialect of Lua - FOSDEM 2021. This is my talk about the latest updates on the Teal programming language,...
New
AstonJ
Not had time to read it yet but this looks like a good interview… Our friend Yukihiro Matsumoto, creator of the Ruby programming langua...
New
First poster: bot
Just a small test with lists in cython. Considering echosystem, multithreading and ease of use, Julia is a clear winner here.
New
First poster: bot
At Grammarly, the foundation of our business, our core grammar engine, is written in Common Lisp. It currently processes more than a thou...
New
CommunityNews
Functional programming is an increasing popular programming paradigm with many languages building or already supporting it. Go already su...
New
First poster: bot
Too long have we hustled to deploy Clojure websites. Too long have we spun up one server instance per site. Too long have reminisced abou...
New
pablocostass
Todos coñecemos os focos de Erlang/Elixir máis renomeados do mundo, como a Suecia, o Brasil, a California ou Londres. Mais a comunidade, ...
New
chikega
Mark Hoffman, the author of Programming WebAssembly in Rust, is a pretty hilarious lecturer if you like a dry sense of humor.
New
vkatsuba
Hi folks! Ukrainian Erlanger is here :sign_of_the_horns:! I’d like to share my recent talk at the TADSummit Online Conference, where I ...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New