mjk

mjk

Java by Comparison: List of typos in Book version P1.0 March 2018

Here is a list of probable typographic and editing errors.

  • p. 3, “to discuss, if it’s better” -> “to discuss if it’s better”
  • p. 8, “Brackets” (twice) -> “Parentheses”. I beg the indulgence of en-UK speakers, but in en-US and in the Java Spec, “brackets” refers to square brackets or angle brackets and not to parentheses; note also this entry in the index, p. 167: “[] (brackets), Booleans, 8”
  • p. 25, the third change arrow in the margin of the snippet should be removed, as the line is unchanged from that on p. 24
  • pp. 30-31, “1.60934;” -> “1.609344;”
  • p. 33, “on page 48 so that” -> “on page 48, so that”
  • p. 49, “(Trailing whitespaces)” -> “(Leading and trailing whitespace)”
  • p. 52, “both–a” -> “both a”
  • p. 53, “is clearly standing” -> “clearly stands”
  • p. 53, “The following description” -> “The subsequent description”, or “The description that follows the summary sentence”
  • p. 54, “when you pass null”, the “null” is in the wrong font, see page 6 for a precedent of using the inline code font for null
  • p. 61, “the name … already scream out” -> “the name already screams out”
  • p. 62. “JavaBeans and yes” -> “JavaBeans, and yes”
  • p. 71, “lastname” -> “lastName”
  • pp. 74-75, “1079252850” -> “1079252848.8” – hey, it’s rocket science, OK!
  • p. 81, add a change arrow to the snippet line “rawId, rawMessage), e);”
  • pp. 105, 111, “unicode” -> “Unicode”
  • p. 115, “You can even give” -> “You should give”
  • p. 116, “If you insert null instead” -> “If you pass in null instead”, because the topic is an input parameter and unrelated to a list operation
  • p. 139, “on page 136 and many” -> “on page 136, and many”
  • p. 149, “In the last chapter” -> “In this chapter”
  • p. 149, “outlook” -> “overview”

Most Liked

simonharrer

simonharrer

Author of Java by Comparison

Thanks. We’ll take this into account if there’s a editing round sometime in the future.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
dsmith42
Hey there, I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New

Sub Categories: