wolf4earth

wolf4earth

How we processed €5M in donations in 2 hours using Cloudflare and Stripe

https://medium.com/we-are-serverless/a-technical-deep-dive-into-processing-5-million-in-donations-in-2-hours-using-cloudflare-workers-fd857ea5cd37

99% of the requests used less than 6.6 ms CPU time, and this stayed flat throughout the evening and the next day. Only in the 99.9th percentile, we saw a little bump which coincided with the donation peak, at around 11.34pm. With AWS Lambda we were used to seeing functions running for 100s of ms, and seconds during the warm-up phase, so having functions consistently run for less than 10ms, without the inevitable penalty, was quite the sight!


A super interesting read and exactly the kind of use-case where I always imagined serverless would shine.

I’m especially impressed by the fact that the team behind We Are Serverless managed to build this in only 4 weeks by focusing on making it as lean as possible.

Big props!

Most Liked

wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Not yet personally, I acted as the technical coach/product owner in a “proof of concept” project of the RWTH Aachen where we used a serverless architecture to also make it as lean as possible (see this article for details).

While I haven’t used it personally I really would like to do more with it. I’m convinced that the computing model and the architectures enabled by it won’t disappear but - quite the opposite - will be seen more and more in the future.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

DevotionGeo
There are 3 main formatters for Erlang which you can use from the command-line, rebar3_format, Steamroller elmfmt. Visual Studio Cod...
New
AstonJ
This article was written by @rvirding …over a decade ago! Posting here in case anyone else finds it of interest and adding it to our Erla...
New
AstonJ
Just finished doing a clean install of macOS (which I highly recommend btw!) and have updated my macOS Ruby & Elixir/Erlang dev env s...
New
First poster: bot
What’s Next for Teal, the typed dialect of Lua - FOSDEM 2021. This is my talk about the latest updates on the Teal programming language,...
New
First poster: bot
In this post we’re going to be looking at a more advanced use of Gleam’s type system, known as phantom types. Hopefully by the end of thi...
New
First poster: bot
I’ve been more serious about learning Rust recently, after dragging on with passive learning for a while. My first real programming langu...
New
axelson
I describe how we use Hot Reloading with Webpack to develop faster and show how to integrate Webpack 5, webpack-dev-server, and Phoenix f...
New
brainlid
In episode 81 of Thinking Elixir, we talk with Digit and Quinn Wilton about the Burrito project. It wraps up Elixir to a single binary, e...
New
brainlid
In episode 83 of Thinking Elixir, We talk with Isaac Yonemoto about the Zig language and his Zigler Elixir library. We learn where Zig ca...
New
brainlid
In episode 92 of Thinking Elixir, we talk with Mitchell Hanberg and learn about why he created the alternate Phoenix templating language ...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New