AstonJ

AstonJ

Do you use LittleSnitch?

I think I’ve used LittleSnitch since my first ever Mac - does anyone else with a Mac use it?

For those not aware of it, whenever an app tries to access the internet it asks you whether you’d like to grant it permission - which can be allow or deny, and either for forever, until quit, just once, or for a specified time.

Handy for all sorts of things, such the Google Chrome updater - which seems to ping for new versions every 5 seconds! You can just deny forever, then when you want to upgrade, simply delete the associated rule and it will ask you for permission next time it tries to connect to the internet.

I love it because I hate the idea of apps connecting to the internet without my knowledge!

Do you use LittleSnitch?

  • Yes
  • No
  • Considering it now!

0 voters

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Never did but would like to.

Also TripMode – to limit which apps can even use the net – is something I am looking forward to use actively.

Dusty

Dusty

I burned out on Little Snitch. I lasted about 5 years, but I find the constant breakage and allowlisting to be really fatiguing when I just want to work.

For the security conscious, there is also Google Santa, but again, there is a lot of configuration to use it. I lost a year of my life to Arch Linux back in the day. No one saw me - I don’t really remember what happened - I just remember a lot of blinking when I first saw the sun again… I think about 6 months of that time was spent trying to center my desktop wallpaper image. Which is my way of saying that, if you went with macOS because you just want things to work without tinkering, these additional layers of security can really rob you of that feeling. What’s challenging for me as a non-security-professional is really quantifying risk. If you have no idea how vulnerable you are, it’s difficult to decide how much effort one should expend in this arena.

AstonJ

AstonJ

LittleSnitch is a lot easier now - it comes with recommended rules and even suggests how to act. After about a week of normal use, I don’t think I have had to configure anything other than new software now :smiley:

I do like Apple’s latest security measures tho, such as having to give access to apps if they want to access things like your documents folders.

Thanks for the link to Santa, I wasn’t aware that it existed!

Where Next?

Popular Macos topics Top

New
New
First poster: bot
With 2020 now squarely behind us, it’s safe to say that the year didn’t go as anyone planned, but at Panic we somehow managed to release ...
New
First poster: SmithyTT
Joe Biden had a question for Tim Cook: Why, the then-vice president wanted to know, couldn’t Apple make the iPhone in the U.S.? It was Ja...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Vitals is a little Mac app I built recently that shows you which programs are slowing your computer down. It lives in the menu bar, keepi...
New
First poster: bot
Beautiful calculator for Mac. Numi is a beautiful text calculator for Mac. This thread was posted by one of our members via one of o...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - ExistentialAudio/BlackHole: BlackHole is a modern macOS virtual audio driver that allows applications to pass audio to other app...
New
New
First poster: maxmannen
Generate images from text using Stable Diffusion 1.5. Simply describe the image you desire, and the app will generate it for you like mag...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New