Kurisu

Kurisu

Do you use a Linux terminal music player?

If so, which one?

Recently I had to install Moc player on an old PC because I was searching for something with low resource consumption.

Most Liked

zzq

zzq

I ended up writing my own, musicd, because I couldn’t find anything out there that was exactly what I was looking for.

musicd is a daemon, that runs in the background and plays a list of songs from a file (including picking up new songs as that file is edited.) You use your standard command line tools to queue the songs up: I have a handful of scripts which I use to select songs to add with fzf, and/or I use vim (with filename completion) to edit the playlist file.

(Also, musicd has various mechanisms for selecting a randomized list of songs to play, for when I don’t feel like queuing songs up myself.)

musicd was designed to meet my own idiosyncratic needs, but who knows—perhaps someone else will find it useful as well.

pmangalakader

pmangalakader

You can also checkout CMUS. Supports Vi based controls and interface.

WIKI LINK

Qqwy

Qqwy

I use terminal-based programs, and other programs with non-mouse controls like emacs/vim (i.e. Spacemacs) for a lot of my workflow, but music is one of those things that I have not felt the need of to put in a terminal so far.

What are the reasons that you prefer a terminal music player over a graphical one?

Where Next?

Popular Linux topics Top

New
New
bot
Looking for an easy to use encryption tool to protect data on your Linux servers? Jack Wallen shows you how to install and use gocryptfs ...
New
Exadra37
In your opinion what is the best Linux windows manager that has this requisites: Works with Ubuntu 20.04 without hijacking the current ...
New
First poster: bot
Ubuntu Linux virtualized on M1 (success!). the ISO file needed: ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-arm64.iso apart from the ISO, using disk ima...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
New
AstonJ
Further to: Let's Encrypt's Root Certificate is expiring Just run this in terminal: rpm -qa | grep ca-certificates-2021.2.50-72.el7_9.n...
New
Eiji
I’m not really up-to-date with mainstream social media, so I may be a bit late with this news, but … The point is … Faceboo...
New
AstonJ
Anyone tried Tails? Any thoughts? How Tails works Leave no trace on the computer Your secure computer anywhere To use Tails, shut ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New