Dusty

Dusty

An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts

Thanks to @AstonJ for encouraging me to post this here:

An introduction to alternative keyboard layouts

Feel free to post your own experiences or ask questions. I consider my current layout to be stable, in the sense that I haven’t made significant changes for a couple years, and I am very happy with it.

Most Liked

NobbZ

NobbZ

I tried neo a couple of times, though one of the major problems with it is, that I still have to deal with other peoples computers or my Windows machine at the office.

Not even speaking about the fact, that keyboards are labeled for QWERTZ anyway…

Switching back and forth, beeing confused by keycaps that did not fit what was happening on screen when currently on Neo have been my major painpoints.

Today I have a keyboard where I could swap the keycaps, though again, now this PC is also used by my son for his schoolworks, and they even do a touch typing course next year! I do not want to confuse him with alternative layouts yet.

Perhaps if the Optimus were still available… Anyone knows an alternative?

Dusty

Dusty

The issue with using other people’s machines is very occupation-dependent. For some people, it is a constant issue, and for others it almost never comes up. Over the years, I have run into it far less than I anticipated. If you have access to a USB port on those machines, it’s much easier, given that you can just carry a QMK board or a converter like a Hasu controller. Having said that, carrying a board is obviously only easy for those that prefer 60% or less in the first place. No one is overly keen to carry a full-size around. If you don’t have access to a USB port, then I think PKL is probably the best option (via your email or cloud storage). My general attitude is that if I’m not going to be on the machine long enough to warrant downloading PKL, it probably doesn’t matter if it has my layout in the first place. For such brief interactions, looking at the keys is not a big sacrifice.

When I’m on my own board, I try very hard to make sure that the keys are not labeled in a way that tempts me to look at them. I prefer blanks or unrelated symbols (I went with the Hiragana for the Planck). But actually I find that QWERTY (or QWERTZ) is nearly as good. The key is just not to have the keys remotely resemble the actual layout, so that there is no temptation to rely upon them, and instead just consult the layout in my head.

The corollary to that is that it’s much easier to remember your own custom layout. When you put a lot of effort into making decisons about every key, it really sticks with you—it becomes an extension of you, a physical manifestation of all the quirks of your personality. The keys are exactly where you would guess you’d put them.

The keycap mismatch issue is another reason that I’m a fan of small boards. A lot of touch typists don’t touch type all keystrokes. They touch type keys that are easily within reach, but then reference the keyboard when they need far away symbols, numbers, Fkeys. On a small board, there is no temptation or need to do that, because there simply aren’t any distant keys that require a hand movement. So I think going small tends to promote true touch typing (without any “cheat glances,” so to speak).

AstonJ

AstonJ

Anyone know if there any keyboard layouts designed specifically for ortholinear keyboards?

When I get a new keyboard I am thinking about trying the https://workmanlayout.org since it was designed for programmers :smiley: (your article has been a huge help @dusty!)

I’m very worried about muscle-memory of qwerty tho - feels like I’ve be using it for forever…

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Successful technical blogging is not easy but it’s also not magic. Use these techniques to attract and keep an audience of loyal, regular...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Battle cost overruns, death marches, and legacy code monsters with novel ways to identify and prioritize technical debt, based on behavio...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
If you’re trying to use agile and lean strategies at the program level, you’ve heard of several approaches, all about scaling processes. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This Quick-Start Guide is packed with fun, useful devices to create, with step-by-step instructions and photos throughout. You'll build ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Software is full of surprises. No matter how careful or skilled you are, when you create software it can behave differently than you inte...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Agile in a Flash cards teach leadership, teamwork, clean programming, agile approaches to problem solving, and tips for coaching agile te...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Your project can’t fail. That’s a lot of pressure on you, and yet you don’t want to buy into any one specific process, methodology, or li...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Imagine you’re using the world’s most sophisticated word processor: it has every function imaginable, except one. For some reason, they f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Go beyond mere project management and improve teamwork, communication, and predictability in open source development. Make meetings and s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Discover how to empower teams through self-selection, enhancing productivity and satisfaction in the modern workplace. Sandy Mamoli...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New