s2k

s2k

Author of Fast Feedback Using Ruby

Write Better with Vale: Is is possible to copy & paste code from the epub version without invisible characters?

Context

Hardware & OS:

OS: macOS Tahoe 26.0 arm64
Host: MacBook Pro

Observation

One of the code snippets as seen in epub is this:

When I mark the code and copy it into a text editor, I get

“​ StylesPath = ​../styles​​ MinAlertLevel = ​suggestion​​ ​ ​[*.html]​​ BasedOnStyles = ​Vale​​ Vale.Spelling = ​error​”

Excerpt From
Write Better with Vale
Brian P. Hogan
This material may be protected by copyright.

…and that’s fine. Removing the lower part and reformatting the part in the double quotes is easy enough. After doing that, I’m left with:

StylesPath = ​../styles​​
MinAlertLevel = ​suggestion​​

[*.html]​​
BasedOnStyles = ​Vale​​
Vale.Spelling = ​error​

This looks good, but alas it isn’t: Running vale . in (an empty) folder containing only this ini file, I get:

> vale .
E100 [NewE201] Runtime error
The path ‘/Users/stephan/dev/vale_example_project/​../styles​​’ does not exist.
Execution stopped with code 1.

It took me a while to find the issue.
Using caton the file doesn’t show anything suspecting:

> cat .vale.ini
StylesPath = ​../styles
MinAlertLevel = ​suggestion

[*.html]
BasedOnStyles = ​Vale
Vale.Spelling = ​error

Dumping the file to show the characters and hex codes, I get this:

> fd -w16 .vale.ini
.vale.ini
53 74 79 6c 65 73 50 61 74 68 20 3d 20 e2 80 8b |     S t y l e s P a t h ␠ = ␠
2e 2e 2f 73 74 79 6c 65 73 e2 80 8b e2 80 8b 0a |         . . / s t y l e s ​ ​ ␊
4d 69 6e 41 6c 65 72 74 4c 65 76 65 6c 20 3d 20 | M i n A l e r t L e v e l ␠ = ␠
e2 80 8b 73 75 67 67 65 73 74 69 6f 6e e2 80 8b |         ​ s u g g e s t i o n
e2 80 8b 0a 0a 5b 2a 2e 68 74 6d 6c 5d e2 80 8b |         ​ ␊ ␊ [ * . h t m l ]
e2 80 8b 0a 42 61 73 65 64 4f 6e 53 74 79 6c 65 |     ​ ␊ B a s e d O n S t y l e
      73 20 3d 20 e2 80 8b 56 61 6c 65 e2 80 8b |             s ␠ = ␠ ​ V a l e
e2 80 8b 0a 56 61 6c 65 2e 53 70 65 6c 6c 69 6e |     ​ ␊ V a l e . S p e l l i n
67 20 3d 20 e2 80 8b 65 72 72 6f 72 e2 80 8b 0a |         g ␠ = ␠ ​ e r r o r ​ ␊

(fdis for ‘file dump’, a Ruby tool I wrote [and available at https://github.com/s2k/fd\])

Aha! There are sequences of e2 80 8b that vale can’t cope with.
Now, this sequence (in UTF-8) is a ‘zero width space’ (→ U+200B ZERO WIDTH SPACE: ​ – Unicode – Codepoints ) which also explains why it’s not visible.

My question is: Is it possible to not put this zero-width-space in the copied code snippet (or not in the epub file)?

Cheers

Stephan

Marked As Solved

Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg

IDK if this helps you, but there is a zip file with the code for the vale.ini file on the book’s web page: https://media.pragprog.com/titles/bhvale/code/bhvale-code.zip

Also Liked

bphogan

bphogan

Author of Build Websites with Hugo (and 4 other titles)

@s2k that just makes me smile so much. What a great application of the book’s content.

This is exactly how I use Vale at $dayJob… to find things we want to fix.

FWIW I verified that there’s nothing in the original code that causes this, so it’s something I’ll have to raise with the publisher.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New

Sub Categories: