finner

finner

Using Optional in Java

During a recent code review I came across this scenario:

Code in review

if (input.getValue() != null) {
   return Arrays.asList(value);
}  else {
   return input.getValues().stream().map(this::parseValues).collect(Collectors.toList())
}

And I suggested (in a compassionate way :grin: ) that we use Optional to treat the null value, so my suggestion was something like:

return Optional.ofNullable(input.getValue()).map(Arrays::asList)
       .orElseGet(input.getValues().stream().map(this::parseValues).collect(Collectors.toList()));

And I thought I was being very clever.

But then I realised it’s harder to understand the logic in this version. At least the if is a clear intent.
So I read up some more on Optional.
The Optional container allows us to perform logic including chaining map, flatMap, filter etc based on a value that may or may not be present. But this is not the real intention of Optional.

Optional is mainly used to represent attributes in an object that may be null or a method in an API that could return a null.

Consider a Person.
Everyone has a name, an age and a gender but may not have a car so we could define a class as follows:

class Person {
   private String name;
   private int age;
   private boolean female;
   private Optional<Car> car;
}

From this declaration it’s obvious that not everyone has a car and so the caller would then treat the car attribute appropriately.

My take away is the following:

Optional is not a replacement for occurrences if (x != null)

Any heavy users of Optional around?
Tips and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Most Liked

finner

finner

Today I came across a very elegant use (IMHO) of Optional at work.
Consider the same person as above with a date of birth attribute:

public class Person {
   private String name;
   private String dob;

   // getters & setters etc etc (yep Java is verbose !!!!)
}

Now say you want to get that dob value into a Date object and do weird and wonderful date calculations.
You could use Optional like this:


// if you expect dob to be a string in the format yyyy-mm-dd
LocalDate birthday = Optional.ofNullable(persone.getDob())
    .map(LocalDate::parse)
    .orElse(null);  // or whatever

// or if the dob is in a different format, for example dd-MM-yyyy
DateTimeFormatter formatter = DateTimeFormatter.ofPattern("dd-MM-yyyy");
LocalDate  d = Optional.ofNullable(p.getDob())
                .map(dob -> LocalDate.parse(dob, formatter))
                .orElse(null);

Now you have a LocalDate instance to play with.

In fact, once you have an Optional instance you have the following stream operators available

  • map
  • flatMap
  • filter

flatMap can be used to compose Optionals

public int ageDifference(Optional<Person> older, Optional<Person> younger) {
     return older.flatMap(o -> younger.map(y -> calAgeDifference(o.getDob(), y.getDob())); 
}

Quite cool :sunglasses:

Just thought I’d share :slight_smile:

finner

finner

cheers @AstonJ -
it’s actually good practice for me to help reinforce the learning by posting. Although at my age I will have forgotten it by end of week.
… so what were we talking about again … ?

AstonJ

AstonJ

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am just as bad - though I think a modern world is partly to blame - we are bombarded with information almost constantly now, imagine living a few thousand years ago before TV/Radio/Computers/Internet. Probably would have been quite serene and peaceful :smiley:

Funny thing is I read that article… and forgot most of it :rofl:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
New
New
New
First poster: bot
C++: The Good Parts . Jordan DeLong overviews the past, current and near future “good parts” of C++'s functional side through the colore...
New
AstonJ
Just discovered Fika - looks pretty neat! fn sum(a: Int, b: Int) : Float do a + b end I quite like the syntax, though would probably ...
New
Jsdr3398
I’ve recently become interested in Elixir and all it’s neat perks. And since I’m currently working on a messaging platform; elixir seems ...
New
First poster: bot
Welcome to RETRO, my personal take on the Forth language. This is a modern system primarily targetting desktop, mobile, and servers, th...
New
Jsdr3398
I just thought of this. Are there any disadvantages when making your server in Assembly (other than having to learn a bunch of stuff :ro...
New
Cellane
Phoenix 1.6.0 got released last week, with built-in authentication and mailer generators, a whole new HEEx (HTML-aware Embedded Elixir) e...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New