AstonJ

AstonJ

What kind of Bash scripts have you written?

Inspired by this post by @stefan.jarina, I’m curious about the kind of Bash scripts you’ve written and whether you still use Bash given there are a lot of scripting languages around now…

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I can’t shut up about the last task I did for one of my former customers: I made a script that scraped our own app’s invoice pages and printed all the scraped pages to PDF. It also utilized parallel so several downloads and PDF creations were happening at the same time.

The whole script, with good comments included, is no more than 45 or so lines yet it was one of the most productive scripts I have ever written. Our business people – who wanted the PDF invoices – were thrilled.

stefan.jarina

stefan.jarina

Just a bit of a context to why even have a need to write a bash script.

I mostly write automation, for windows in powershell, for linux in python. and mostly leveraging ansible.

However the need was to have a script that can be deployed to server using azure custom scripts extensions. My first idea was to simply have a thin wrapper above my python scripts, that wil install what is needed and then launch python goodness. however this proved to be a bit frustrating, because different systems have different package names, dependencies and etc.

as soon as you have to support ubuntu 18.04/20.04, red-hat/centos 7 and 8, openSUSE, oracle linux and some more…

on one system there is only python3, on other only python2, on some python3.5 on other python3.8, on some package is called libselinux-python, on other python3-selinux and so on :smiley:

I just said screw it, will write this in bash and be done with it, I can be sure, that will work reliably on every system.

my wish for 2021 is to get rid of python2 and be done with this nonsense and have everywhere only python3 so we can finally count on it in our automation :slight_smile:

PS: sorry for a small rant

tomtastic

tomtastic

I love BASH, with moderate knowledge of it you can do so much with ease.
I especially like using its arrays and rematch regex for quick utilities where reaching for Python or PERL otherwise just doesn’t seem worth the time or potential loss of portability.

Most recently I wrote a a script to scrape a visualisation graph from an external webpage, refreshing its view every 10minutes but only between core business hours, and sleeping precisely until the next day when outside those hours, displaying it directly in the terminal with iTerms imgcat :slight_smile:

But my most valuable and oft used script is one I wrote to update my DDNS IP address in Cloudflare.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
bot
So you want to live-reload Rust - fasterthanli.me. Good morning! It is still 2020, and the world is literally on fire , so I guess we c...
New
First poster: bot
AbstractMachinesLab/caramel. :candy: An Erlang backend to the OCaml compiler. Contribute to AbstractMachinesLab/caramel development by c...
New
bot
Add sound to your Python game. This is part 13 in an ongoing series about creating video games in Python 3 using the Pygame module. Prev...
New
First poster: bot
The Emerging Architectures for Modern Data Infrastructure. Five years ago, if you were building a system, it was a result of the code yo...
New
DevotionGeo
How Dgraph was running out of memory for some users, and how Go’s Garbage collector wasn’t enough, and Dgraph team used jemalloc to manag...
New
New
kelvinst
I have being some Elixir open-source contributions and side projects. Oh, and I’m doing them on livestreams on my twitch channel, follow ...
New
lucasvegi
Hello guys! Perhaps some of you have already seen this invitation on other channels in the Elixir community or even responded to our surv...
New
lucasvegi
Hello guys! Perhaps some of you have already seen this invitation on other channels in the Elixir community or even responded to our sur...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New