mafinar

mafinar

Thinking about learning Crystal, let's discuss

So I was thinking of trying out Crystal, I had tried it multiple times but left it midway. Now that there’s a book on it and it’s version 1.0 (not that pre-1.0 ever stopped me from learning a language), I was thinking of giving another dive.

My previous experience with the language was good, I mean, I never used Ruby but they do have similarities and I like that type of syntax. It’s pretty fast too. The only con for me was the editor support, compared to that, Nim has much better editor support (It has a pleasurable syntax in front of a performant system but I think I like Crystal syntax more).

Does anyone have any shareable views about Crystal? Any advice/suggestions/feelings on it? Anyone planning on learning it?

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

For using a NIF you do not want to use a language that has a GC, because it will conflict with the Erlang BEAM GC unless you are very very very careful about where data is ‘owned’ and that you prevent the GC from running on any of the BEAM threads, but as long as you can verify all that then it’s fine.

On a crystal side I messed with it for a couple small tools, doesn’t seem bad but not really my style. For something C’ish like that I’d go more for Nim or so (though for most things I’d go Rust nowadays anyway). Plus when I last tried it, it still had a GIL, so no parallelization.

AstonJ

AstonJ

I would be up for this! Since I know Ruby hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard getting familiar with Crystal too.

One thing I always thought might be good is using it for Elixir/Erlang nifs, but I think @OvermindDL1 said this may not be a good fit.

Other than that, would it be good to use for things like graphical work? Do you know what the Crystal core team are targeting it at?

(Speaking of the core team, I think I spoke to one or two of them via Twitter a few years ago and they always came across as very nice and very much in the spirit of Ruby… which is always a huge plus :+1:)

AstonJ

AstonJ

Ah yeah I think I remember it being about GC now (I started a dedicated thread about languages that don’t GC here) :blush:

I’d like to try nim too at some point, maybe after rust :smiley:

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

AstonJ
Currently a hot topic in the BEAM world, let’s start a thread for it (as suggested by @crowdhailer here) :smiley: What are your current...
New
New
New
First poster: bot
About Self Self is a prototype-based dynamic object-oriented programming language, environment, and virtual machine centered around the p...
New
AstonJ
Just discovered Fika - looks pretty neat! fn sum(a: Int, b: Int) : Float do a + b end I quite like the syntax, though would probably ...
New
mafinar
I’ll be participating. This would be very interesting because I have been having coders block + a lot of distraction this weekend. But l...
New
New
pillaiindu
Hi everyone, Does anyone know when will “Agile Web Development in Rails 8” by Pragmatic Bookshelf release. I’m eager to dive into the la...
New
apoorv-2204
Hi everyone, I’m considering pursuing the Elixir/Erlang certification exam offered by Erlang Solutions and wanted to check in with the c...
New
apoorv-2204
I’m experimenting with Hexagonal / Clean Architecture in Elixir. The classic Behaviour + Impl split works great for mocking and isolating...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New