CommunityNews

CommunityNews

There’s No Such Thing as Clean Code

Everyone seems to be striving for ‘clean’ code at the moment. You can’t read a blog post without the author telling you how clean their approach is. Engineering teams get together and discuss which of the possible solutions is the cleanest. Other developers assure you that they practice ‘clean code’.

I’ve come to a realisation though. There’s no such thing as clean code.

Read in full here:

https://www.steveonstuff.com/2022/01/27/no-such-thing-as-clean-code

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

davearonson

davearonson

Not exactly “no such thing”, more like quite the opposite, “too many things”. :slight_smile: Somewhat like “quality software”, tossed around with mostly no definition, or occasionally too many definitions. (That’s why, in the spirit of XKCD 967, I’m making One Definition To Rule Them All – results so far at Codosaurus: ACRUMEN .)

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Quite true.

I personally read “clean code” as “something I can pick up in 5 minutes if I haven’t touched the code base in a year” which is IMO a good pragmatic way of looking at it.

But too many people have been living in poverty, became programmers and skipped five social ladder steps in the upwards direction… and then super quickly became insufferable snobs that started writing bullshit like “clean code aesthete” in their biographies. :person_facepalming: (Yes, I’ve actually seen that and was flabbergasted)

The older I get the more extreme I become. Our area needs a serious cleanup. :expressionless:

davearonson

davearonson

(Sorry for the delayed reply, I’m catching up after a week of vacation!)

Yes, good clean code would be easier to pivot with… but in the time it takes for the business side to decide what to pivot to, the dev side can get started cleaning up the code a bit, plus there’s a fairly large chance that the whole codebase will get chucked and rewritten anyway, or that the biz will just go totally bust and not have a chance to pivot into anything.

As for monoliths, yes, it’s an argument for doing things the easy way. Building a monolith, whether majestic or not, is much easier and faster than deciding where to split things up into microservices, and figuring out how to make them all communicate properly. You can certainly start it as a monolith, and tear off chunks to be microservices later. Again, yes, this will be easier with good clean code… but that’s an investment that you might well not have a chance to cash in. You can also tear off chunks in just a conceptual manner, and reimplement the code differently, perhaps more cleanly this time (since it will probably last longer this time).

But that does bring up an idea… maybe a framework based around microservices in the first place? Say for instance we started with Rails but added microservices for various common things to add on, like various kinds of user management, especially authentication and profiles, maybe authorization, into microservices. Or provided a common foundation for making microservices, so if you needed to split off a service for certain kinds of PII or PHI or credit card data or anything else sensitive, or anything else that might otherwise make sense to split out, you could start that microservice from a common basis, much like how so many apps start from the basis of Rails. Think that might be useful?

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: AstonJ
In one sense, the Truth Mines were just another indexscape. Hundreds of thousands of specialized selections of the library’s contents wer...
New
First poster: bot
Neovim nightly, v0.5.0 and v0.4.4 has been released. Link: Release Nvim development (prerelease) build · neovim/neovim · GitHub Link:...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
You can now buy a 100W USB-C cable with a built-in power meter. They’re just $20 on Amazon, and they work!
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - Rezmason/matrix: matrix (web-based green code rain, made with love). matrix (web-based green code rain, made with love) - GitHu...
New
First poster: mikhailgrib
Let’s build GPT: from scratch, in code, spelled out… We build a Generatively Pretrained Transformer (GPT), following the paper “Attentio...
New
CommunityNews
Christian Mills - Testing Intel’s Arc A770 GPU for Deep Learning Pt. 2. This post covers my experience training image classification mod...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
First poster: adamaiken89
Why Ruby on Rails still matters. An old tool endures in a Next.js world
New
CommunityNews
The French originated the meter in the 1790s as one/ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the north pole along a meridian thr...
New
First poster: braycarla
In beginning the NVIDIA Blackwell Linux testing with the GeForce RTX 5090 compute performance, besides all the CUDA/OpenCL/OptiX benchmar...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New