AstonJ

AstonJ

Slack makes EU antitrust claim against Microsoft

I hadn’t even heard of Teams.

(I do wonder what their plans are for GH tho)

Slack said Microsoft’s bundling of Teams within Office 365 software was “illegal and anti-competitive practice” and that the tech giant was “abusing its market dominance”.

The complaint will now be reviewed by the European Commission.

Microsoft said that it was providing the EC with information.

“We created Teams to combine the ability to collaborate with the ability to connect via video, because that’s what people want,” said a spokesperson.

“With Covid-19, the market has embraced Teams in record numbers while Slack suffered from its absence of video-conferencing. We’re committed to offering customers not only the best of new innovation, but a wide variety of choice in how they purchase and use the product.”

“We look forward to providing additional information to the European Commission and answering any questions they may have.”

Slack argued that it was seeking a “level playing field” and suggested that, by offering Teams to Office 365 users, Microsoft was making it harder for Slack to sell its own software to the market.

Most Liked

asgartech

asgartech

Could you imagine that to become a reality in the past?

I could, and to be honest I liked Microsoft better when they were openly antagonistic toward Linux and FOSS in general. WSL, GitHub, etc. smells too much of the old “Embrace, Extend, Extinguish” strategy for my liking. People say Microsoft has changed, but I don’t think the corporation has changed as dramatically as people claim.

I just think Microsoft’s senior management has learned subtlety.

I don’t trust MS, I don’t like MS, and I only use their products (free or paid) when I’m getting paid to put up with them.

Exadra37

Exadra37

Where have you been… under a rock :wink:

Disclaimer: I am a Linux user

Since day one that I believe that Github acquisition is part of their long term strategy to get back Developers into the Microsoft sphere, not necessarily ecosystem. I mean they want you to use as much as possible their products, free and paid ones, no matter what platform you are in, and without trying to convert you.

A good example of a free product that they are successfully locking in all the developer community is VScode, and with this and Github acquisition they will try to make as simpler as possible to deploy any code into Azure, and that is why they are doing all they can to embrace other communities of programmers, not to fight them as in the past. They even have now the Linux subsystem running inside of Windows.

But the best of all is that they are now members of the Linux Foundation, contributing with money every year, that is used for many things, being one of them to pay Linus salary :wink: Could you imagine that to become a reality in the past?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Slack has no court case and no serious attorney will help them. This is mostly a PR move that they hope will put them in more people’s radars when it comes to corporate paid chat customers.

They’ll lose such a litigation.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: mafinar
The following languages will help current and new web developers navigate the programming landscape to code web-based services and apps t...
New
First poster: AstonJ
In one sense, the Truth Mines were just another indexscape. Hundreds of thousands of specialized selections of the library’s contents wer...
New
First poster: Maartz
This Keyboard Lets People Type So Fast It’s Banned From Typing Competitions. A new peripheral lets you keep typing without ever lifting ...
New
First poster: dpritchett
It’s not what programming languages do, it’s what they shepherd you to. How many of you have listened, read or taken part in a discussio...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
You can now buy a 100W USB-C cable with a built-in power meter. They’re just $20 on Amazon, and they work!
New
First poster: malloryerik
GitHub - hlissner/doom-emacs: An Emacs framework for the stubborn martian hacker. An Emacs framework for the stubborn martian hacker - G...
New
First poster: cpgo
8 reasons to ditch Chrome and switch to Firefox. Chrome may dominate, but Firefox is a known name among browsers for a reason. Whether y...
New
First poster: peterchancc
Why I like Clojure as a solo developer | Biff. Most of the reasons fall into a few categories: data orientation, the JVM, and the REPL.
New
CommunityNews
9 fintech engineering mistakes. Read this list unless you want to build a money dissappearing system
New
First poster: alvinkatojr
About accelerationism, NRx, and the intersection of technology, religion, and philosophy: an analysis of the essential ideas in the new A...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New