CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Python Concurrency: The Tricky Bits

As a data scientist who is spending more time on software engineering, I was recently forced to confront an ugly gap in my knowledge of Python: concurrency. To be honest, I never completely understood how the terms async, threads, pools and coroutines were different and how these mechanisms could work together. Every time I tried to learn about the subject, the examples were a bit too abstract for me, and I hard time internalizing how everything worked.

This changed when a friend of mine2 recommended a live coding talk by David Beazley, an accomplished Python educator.

This talk is incredibly intimidating at first. Not only is it coded live from scratch, but it also jumps immediately into socket programming, something that I had never encountered as a data scientist. However, if you go through it slowly and understand all the components (as we do in this blog post) it turns out to be the best educational material on Python concurrency I have ever encountered. This blog post documents what I learned along the way so others can benefit, too…

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

New
New
First poster: bot
Part 1: Introduction to Postgrest. In Codd, we trust In the field of Computer Science and Engineering, few things come close to the dura...
New
CommunityNews
Functional programming is an increasing popular programming paradigm with many languages building or already supporting it. Go already su...
New
elbrujohalcon
A long time ago, I wrote an article about The Asymmetry of ++, thanks to Fede Bergero’s findings. Let’s add a few more asymmetries to th...
New
brainlid
We take a deeper dive with Nathan Long into IOLists in Elixir. We cover what they are, how they work, the power they have when concatenat...
New
brainlid
In episode 83 of Thinking Elixir, We talk with Isaac Yonemoto about the Zig language and his Zigler Elixir library. We learn where Zig ca...
New
GoulvenClech
Hi everyone :wave: I’m excited to share an article detailing how we have reorganized our Elixir/Phoenix project’s directory structure. W...
New
mtmattei
For the past few years, Safari has been putting in a lot of effort to enhance its WebAssembly support and 2024 was no exception… I believ...
New
brainlid
Episode 264 of Thinking Elixir. News includes Phoenix v1.8 shipping with an AGENTS markdown file for new apps to enhance coding agent exp...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New