santiagocabrera96
Programming Clojure, Fourth Edition: ex-info should include the cause. (p. 224)
In page 224, the following code is suggested.
(defn load-resource [path]
(try
(if (forbidden? path)
(throw (ex-info "Forbidden resource"
{:status 403 :resource path}))
(slurp path))
(catch java.io.FileNotFoundException e
(throw (ex-info "Missing resource"
{:status 404 :resource path})))
(catch java.io.IOException e
(throw (ex-info "Server error"
{:status 500 :resource path})))))
I’ve seen this in practice a lot and not including the cause when catching an exception generates headaches to debug later.
I’d suggest to do a bit of explanation of adding the cause exception to the ex info in the catch clauses like this:
(defn load-resource [path]
(try
(if (forbidden? path)
(throw (ex-info "Forbidden resource"
{:status 403 :resource path}))
(slurp path))
(catch java.io.FileNotFoundException e
(throw (ex-info "Missing resource"
{:status 404 :resource path}
e)))
(catch java.io.IOException e
(throw (ex-info "Server error"
{:status 500 :resource path}
e)))))
This is really useful for me to add context to exceptions that might happen in calling functions on sequences to understand what element failed.
Here’s a dummy example where I can call a function that might throw, and I would want more context on where it failed, and I can add context to the existing ex-info.
(defn randomly-fails []
(when (> (rand-int 10) 8)
(throw (ex-info "Randomly failed!" {}))))
(run! #(try (randomly-fails)
(catch clojure.lang.ExceptionInfo e
(throw (ex-info (ex-message e)
(assoc (ex-data e) :n %)
e))))
(range 100))
=> #'examples.interop/randomly-fails
Execution error (ExceptionInfo) at examples.interop/randomly-fails (form-init16509100671821839256.clj:3).
Randomly failed!
*e
=>
#error
{:cause "Randomly failed!",
:data {},
:via [{:type clojure.lang.ExceptionInfo,
:message "Randomly failed!",
:data {:n 7},
:at [examples.interop$eval2303$fn__2304 invoke "form-init16509100671821839256.clj" 6]}
{:type clojure.lang.ExceptionInfo,
:message "Randomly failed!",
:data {},
:at [examples.interop$randomly_fails invokeStatic "form-init16509100671821839256.clj" 3]}],
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295)
(feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”)
I have somet...
New
Hi,
build fails on:
bracket-lib = “~0.8.1”
when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0:
Compiling winit v0.22.2
error[E0308]: mi...
New
@noelrappin
Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning:
ERROR in tsconfig.json
TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error:
ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
Hey there,
I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
Skimming ahead, much of the following is explained in Chapter 3, but new readers (like me!) will hit a roadblock in Chapter 2 with their ...
New
Modern Front-End Development for Rails - application does not start after run bin/setup (page xviii)
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
Other popular topics
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
New
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework.
Brian Okken @brianokken
Edited by Kat...
New
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
This is a very quick guide, you just need to:
Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/
Click on search
Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /markdown









