CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Humans Could Live up to 150 Years, New Research Suggests

The chorus of the theme song for the movie Fame, performed by actress Irene Cara, includes the line “I’m gonna live forever.” Cara was, of course, singing about the posthumous longevity that fame can confer. But a literal expression of this hubris resonates in some corners of the world—especially in the technology industry. In Silicon Valley, immortality is sometimes elevated to the status of a corporeal goal. Plenty of big names in big tech have sunk funding into ventures to solve the problem of deathas if it were just an upgrade to your smartphone’s operating system.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

malloryerik

malloryerik

Oh I’d love to go to 150, especially if it was in decent health. If I were decrepit and frail and especially senile in a nursing home, maybe I’d pass on the 60 years of bingo nights. But if I were in any kind of decent health and most crucially still had my mind, then sure, I’d love to go on that journey. There are extremely interesting questions involved, like what changes happen to the rest of one’s life if you believe you have that much time ahead? What is the psychology of a 140-year-old? If such changes became standard, would there be a blossoming of wisdom? An aged army of rear-guard curmudgeons?

KnowledgeIsPower

KnowledgeIsPower

Good if having good health. Bad if that law of that country do not allow people to choose to go away at very high age and having deadly un-treatable diseases.

jss

jss

I really don’t want to live that long :slight_smile:

Where Next?

Popular Science Tech topics Top

First poster: bot
In this post I’ll describe how to sequence a human genome at home, something that’s only recently become possible. The protocol described...
New
First poster: OvermindDL1
By manipulating genes scientists say they can create better-tasting produce, but is it necessary? “Flavour is a re-emerging trend, wit...
New
amolith
I’m the stereotypical overweight IT guy, have been trying to become less overweight, and one of the more popular ways to accomplish that ...
New
First poster: bot
Viruses that were on hiatus during Covid are back — and behaving in unexpected ways. For nearly two years, as the Covid pandemic disrupt...
New
First poster: bot
Preclinical Study: Antibiotics and Gut Microbiomes . In a new study, researchers at Cedars-Sinai found that antibiotics have sex-specifi...
New
First poster: bot
Endemic Pathogens are Making You Crazy and Then Killing You | RETURN. Nobody warned you about them, but they’re destroying your mind and...
New
CommunityNews
Toxic: 3M knew its chemicals were harmful decades ago, but didn’t tell the public, government - Minnesota Reformer. 3M knew its chemical...
New
First poster: AstonJ
The move has been criticised by experts, who say the mineral helps reduce oral cavities, especially in children.
New
CommunityNews
Editor’s Note New research offers a potential explanation for why some patients retain toxic metals long after undergoing an MRI. Publish...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New