AstonJ

AstonJ

Have you made any Android apps?

How did they do? Which language did you use? Any tips?

Most Liked

Phillipp

Phillipp

At the beginning of my developer career, I developed some Android apps in Java while having no clue about Java or OOP. I somehow managed to put things together but the code was horrible.

Some years later, we had to work on a React Native app at work and it was a mess. The project only worked for two of us 3 developers at the same time. One person always had some issues. The whole ecosystem seemed broken with outdated packages and things that just don’t work as one might expect.

Last year I had to continue the development of an Cordova based app. Cordova didn’t get in the way too much and the app logic was written in VueJS. It was a decent experience but the “deployment” wasn’t that easy. We managed to get an Android APK generated, even though the Play Store complained about missing optimizations, etc. We never figured out how to properly generate the IOS version.

I am a big defender of native mobile apps. They just feel better and also look like proper apps on each system. This javascript “build once, publish for all platforms” concept is just a marketing phrase. But depending on the type of app one wants to build or the “quality” one wants to achieve, one might see that differently.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Even Kotlin has taken over Java as the most used language for android development. Kotlin is basically just a different syntax on top of Java, but it is significantly nicer and handles some stupid decisions of Java like Null’s in a far far more sane way. I can whole heartedly say to use Kotlin over Java, they both work in the same places, never a reason not to choose Kotlin.

Scala I like even more, but it’s more… dense than Kotlin, and comes with extra standard library stuff. ^.^;

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’ve made a few, none published, all for my own and some friends uses. I used just raw Java, the Haxe framework, and some C++ frameworks for different purposes for different apps. The big tip I can give is use the Android widget ecosystem properly or your app will not even remotely feel native or natural!

Where Next?

Popular Android topics Top

AstonJ
How did they do? Which language did you use? Any tips?
New
tsellami
Hey everyone! I’m a senior Android dev with over 5 years of experience. I just launched a website called SocialCode to help developers co...
New
Phlip
when the new AI suggestion pops up it only happens while I’m freaking shredding, not while I’m relaxed thinking and can read it. Then I a...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New