CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Effects of cat ownership on the gut microbiota of owners

Effects of cat ownership on the gut microbiota of owners.
Pet ownership is an essential environmental exposure that might influence the health of the owner. This study’s primary objectives were to explore the effects of cat ownership on the gut microbial diversity and composition of owners. Raw data from the American Gut Project were obtained from the SRA database. A total of 214 Caucasian individuals (111 female) with cats and 214 individuals (111 female) without cats were used in the following analysis. OTU number showed significant alteration in the Cat group and Female_cat group, compared with that of the no cat (NC) group and Female_ NC group, respectively. Compared with the NC group, the microbial phylum Proteobacteria was significantly decreased in the Cat group. The microbial families Alcaligenaceae and Pasteurellaceae were significantly reduced, while Enterobacteriaceae and Pseudomonadaceae were significantly increased in the Cat group. Fifty metabolic pathways were predicted to be significantly changed in the Cat group. Twenty-one and 13 metabolic pathways were predicted to be significantly changed in the female_cat and male_cat groups, respectively. Moreover, the microbial phylum Cyanobacteria was significantly decreased, while the families Alcaligenaceae, Pseudomonadaceae and Enterobacteriaceae were significantly changed in the normal weight cat group. In addition, 41 and 7 metabolic pathways were predicted to be significantly changed in the normal-weight cat and overweight cat groups, respectively. Therefore, this study demonstrated that cat ownership could influence owners’ gut microbiota composition and function, especially in the female group and normal-weight group.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Often pet microbes are transient (so they just pass through your system) but there are quite a few that aren’t - such as with some of the common bugs listed in that paper (such as H Pylori, which is a class 1 carcinogen).

This is why I think it’s important to make sure our pets diets are just as healthy (and species appropriate) as our own - if we have unhealthy pets in the family they will harbour bad microbes, and keep infecting us (and vice versa if we’re not healthy).

ohm

ohm

I haven’t read the article in question, but one particular parasite that cats have that “harms” humans are Toxoplasmosis. It’s wants to live in mice but breed in cats. In order to accomplish this, it makes the mice seek out cats, to then be eaten. It does this by altering the mice brain chemistry. If humans get Toxoplasmosis, we tend to become very fond of cats, which is where you see “Crazy cat ladies”.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Ah yes Toxoplasmosis! I’m sure I read once that it makes people (and mice, obviously) oblivious to danger!

I sometimes wonder whether I may have picked it up because I am the sort of person that will speak to anyone!

In fact I can only recall of one occasion when I didn’t feel that way. Going in to the sauna in my local gym one day, there was a man already in there and my instincts were telling me not to speak to him (maybe I was just grumpy that day?) anyway I laid down on the top bench as I normally do (as you get a more equal distribution of heat that way) and I could hear this weird rustling noise. You can imagine my shock when, after 15 minutes I had to get up to have a sip of my water, he was erm, I’ll leave that to your imagination! (I am not a prude and if he was just sitting there naked I wouldn’t have minded at all.)

(So maybe I don’t have Toxoplasmosis after all, as my instincts kicked in and told me to be wary in that situation!)

Here’s a funny story - a friend of mine and I went up the mountains round here one day and because we left it a bit late it started to get dark and cold and so we decided to cut through a forest as a short-cut to get home. Anyway while walking through the forest I spotted a fire, and I thought great, people are camping and I can have a warm in their fire! So we get to the fire and there’s a man there all by himself. He has these huge knives and an axe and a big rucksack with who knows what in. But there’s me asking is it ok for us to have a warm on his fire - and proceeding to chuck his logs on there to make the fire bigger! Well I was cold! :joy:

Good job my friend is a big rugby player type and we had his dog with us and he was joking on the way back that he could have been an axe murdered - the funny thing is even if I was on my own I still probably would have done the same!

(I’m over-dramatising things a bit - he was actually a nice fella and all of his kit looked pretty new/decent, so I guess he was into camping/the outdoors etc).

Maybe we need a thread for funny stories :upside_down_face:

Where Next?

Popular Science Tech topics Top

AstonJ
Thought having a resources thread might be useful, here’s some I’ve found to be good or interesting: https://twitter.com...
New
AstonJ
Just started reading Ben Greenfield’s Boundless on my Kindle https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bo...
New
AstonJ
Just curious - do you eat any foods containing gluten? Do you have any thoughts on gluten? Examples of foods containing gluten: Bread ...
New
dimitarvp
…But I’ve been doing my own experiments lately and I found that severely reduced carbs and sugar (even skipping on fruits!) is giving me ...
New
First poster: KnowledgeIsPower
The chorus of the theme song for the movie Fame, performed by actress Irene Cara, includes the line “I’m gonna live forever.” Cara was, o...
New
First poster: bot
Longevity FAQ — Laura Deming. A beginner’s guide to longevity research
New
amolith
I’m the stereotypical overweight IT guy, have been trying to become less overweight, and one of the more popular ways to accomplish that ...
New
CommunityNews
How does a technique called histotripsy turn tumors into a liquid slurry without harming healthy tissue? Learn about this new noninvasive...
New
CommunityNews
Your brain uses 20% of your body’s energy just idling. Intense thinking barely adds to that. But the mental byproducts of a long cognitiv...
New
CommunityNews
Regular exposure to Finnish sauna bathing (FSB) has been associated with reduced morbidity and mortality. This study aimed to examine the...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New