abhay-rana

abhay-rana

Create-modern-react — production-ready React 19 + TypeScript + Tailwind + shadcn in 15 seconds

Bit of a personal itch-scratch post — curious if anyone else runs into the same thing.

Every time I kick off a new React project I end up doing the same hour of setup: wire TypeScript strict mode, add Tailwind, pick a UI library, set up routing, build an API layer, configure ESLint, add path aliases… It’s not hard, just boring. And I kept making slightly different decisions each time, so projects never felt consistent.

So I spent some weekends building a CLI that does all of that for me: create-modern-react

npx create-modern-react my-app
cd my-app
yarn dev

The defaults I landed on after a few real projects:

  • React 19 + TypeScript 5.9 strict
  • Vite with SWC (noticeably faster than Babel for larger codebases)
  • Tailwind CSS 4
  • shadcn/ui for components (Button, Input, Card, Skeleton already wired)
  • Wouter for routing — it’s 2KB vs React Router’s much larger bundle, and I’ve found it covers 95% of what I need
  • Axios with a typed wrapper so API calls look like getApi<User[]>('/users') instead of raw fetch wrangling
  • React Hot Toast, Error Boundary, and ~/ path aliases included

A few hooks I kept copy-pasting between projects are baked in too: useLoader, useDebounce, useCancelToken.

During setup the CLI asks if you want Redux Toolkit, React Hook Form + Zod, Ant Design instead of shadcn, or Husky for git hooks. Nothing gets added unless you ask for it.


I’ve used it as the base for a couple of my own projects now (a resume builder and an e-commerce frontend) and it’s held up well. But I’m aware my defaults are just my defaults — other people’s setups will differ.

Curious what you all think:

  • Is Wouter a dealbreaker for you, or do you default to React Router anyway?
  • Any obvious gaps in that stack that you always end up adding yourself?
  • Would you swap anything out?

GitHub if you want to poke around:

Happy to answer questions or take suggestions — it’s MIT and still pretty early.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
First poster: bot
Hotwire is an alternative approach to building modern web applications without using much JavaScript by sending HTML instead of JSON over...
New
First poster: bot
Simple.css is a classless CSS template that allows you to make a good looking website really quickly. By classless I mean that there are...
New
First poster: bot
HTML Boilerplate is the gold standard of HTML base templates but I’ve always wanted something simpler. We don’t need to force decisions ...
New
First poster: bot
Local PDF uses Webassembly to edit your PDFs inside your Browser. Your files won’t leave your System, they will not be sent to another se...
New
First poster: bot
This release represents a huge improvement for elm-pages in terms of features, developer experience, and performance. It introduces a com...
New
First poster: bot
Capacitor: Cross-platform native runtime for web apps. Build iOS, Android, and Progressive Web Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript
New
First poster: bot
Solid stands on the shoulders of giants, particularly React and Knockout. If you’ve developed with React Hooks before, Solid should seem ...
New
CommunityNews
Announcing Parcel CSS: A new CSS parser, compiler, and minifier written in Rust!. I’m very excited to announce @parcel/css, a new CSS pa...
New
abhay-rana
Bit of a personal itch-scratch post — curious if anyone else runs into the same thing. Every time I kick off a new React project I end u...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New