CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Apple and Intel first to use TSMC 3nm

Apple and Intel will be the first customers for TSMC’s 3nm process, reports the Nikkei, with Intel securing the higher volume.

The process is due to enter production in H2 2022.

Compared to 5nm, the 3nm process, has a 10-15% speed improvement at the same power or a power reduction of 25-30% at the same speed, with a logic density improvement of 1.7x, an SRAM density improvement of 1.2x and an analogue density improvement of 1.1x.

It is thought that the iPad will be first to get 3nm chips with the next generation of iPhone using the 4nm half-node.

Intel is said to be initially using the 3nm node for notebook PC processors and datacentre CPUs.

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

It’s beyond anyone’s guess. IMO they want the 3nm process for future MacBook Pros and Mac Pros (workstations). But only time will tell.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Apple have bought a sizeable chunk of TSMC’s manufacturing capacity for quite some time in the future still.

GermaVinsmoke

GermaVinsmoke

The upcoming M1 chip will have 3nm?

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
First poster: bot
One of the questions I often come back to is this: how much of our collective wealth is inherited by our generations versus created by ou...
New
AstonJ
I have been using a glossy monitor (LG5K) for over a year now and I swear it is affecting my eyesight. I heard that it can happen as it’...
New
dwaynebradley
Has anyone see this one yet: Now granted, this one is VERY new but the modularity is really nice if they can make a go of it as a comp...
New
First poster: bot
Today Marvell is announcing the first NVMe SSD controllers to support PCIe 5.0, and a new branding strategy for Marvell’s storage control...
New
First poster: AstonJ
If you kept a close eye on the Apple vs. Epic Games trial, you might be wondering: How the hell did we get to this point, where a phone m...
New
AstonJ
I love my Kindle Oasis for reading, but unfortunately it’s not great for technical books as you often need to click on a link or do a qui...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in buying one as the second monitor for my Thinkpad while I am travelling: Anyone has experience in using on...
New
bsrtech
Blame AI! Samsung’s reported 100% QoQ increase in NAND Flash contract prices in Q1 2026 confirms a structural shift in the memory market....
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New