PragTob

PragTob

10 Elixir gotchas

Elixir is a great language, but some behavior can be unintuitive, confusing and in the worst case lead to bugs. So, I took a look at 10 Elixir gotchas explaining why they exist and how to avoid them!

Most Liked

Eiji

Eiji

On Elixir forum there are few topics about those and other gotchas already:

Regarding your list:

  1. Elixir developers by default are diabetics. syntax sugar or pretty printing is a common thing. Over time you would find it rather handy than confusing. You just need to get used to sugar. When you learn a language you should not compare it to others. If doing so I as an Elixir developer would say that mutable variables are confusing. Are they really? In many cases especially sharing mutable data between processes leads to terrible things that are often hard to track well. However some gotchas are actually gotchas only for people who didn’t spend their time to read a syntax reference and other official guides. Simply you are going to be surprised expecting English characters in Chinese language.

  2. charlist is not just an old concept, but a way to handle same thing with other data type.

iex> list = ~c"a"
iex> <<List.first(list)>>
"a"

Because of different type processing and updating data is entirely different, so in some cases you can use one or another to speed up your code. For those reasons we have something in between which is called iolist:

  1. At start it’s confusing, but only a bit. Soon people ask themselves how they could live without that. I can’t imagine that I would pattern-match dozens of keys including all possible cases where some keys may not exist - all of that just to pattern-match on one or few keys.

  2. I don’t remember if I ever did a pattern-match on range, so that example surprised me for a 1ms. Anyway I prefer strict things and I’m always using a struct module when doing pattern-matching on structs. Therefore it was never confusing for me at all.

  3. That’s a good point. It was a good decision at first, but then people started to work on polymorphic data and the concept has been messed up. Without that rarely calling stuff like Map.get/2 would not be a pain at all.

  4. Who said that keywords are the only way for options? As same as charlist vs string topic. Sometimes we use keyword lists and sometimes we use maps. Again expecting lists to behave like maps is weird and shows that someone did not understand why the keyword lists are used for.

  5. That’s only problem if you do not write much guards. It’s funny to see a fully documented function which does not checks if integer parameter is actually an Integer. No matter if we talk about function guards or a type system if they would not be used then the bugs would not be discovered. While I’m aware what bugs could happen I never had such a case personally. I don’t write much guards and documentation only in small pet projects that I’m working on locally.

  6. Not sure how about you, but I know about comparison operators only from used them on integers and floats. Maybe in some languages they are more widely used for other types as well, but I think that I never assumed that such operators would work on date/time structs. I know I’m weird, my first Linux distribution was Gentoo, so maybe I like to go the hard way and I don’t have problem with that. For me it’s rather more like I don’t assume that some behaviour is implemented before I would not read it from documentation. One time I did that with module attributes as I expected them to be equivalent ones for Ruby’s attributes. Once I “learned” to read documentation properly I started to have less problems.

  7. For me this is the biggest gotcha from your list. The most surprising is not this itself, but in context with a . (dot) operator, as it raises KeyError when you try to fetch same thing with this operator, see:

iex> nil.something
** (KeyError) key :something not found in: nil

If you are using the dot syntax, such as map.field, make sure the left-hand side of the dot is a map
    iex:1: (file)
iex> nil[:something]
nil
  1. Module attributes are of course important part of Elixir, but you would see their value much more when you would learn meta-programming. When do so you would never expect a warning on “redefining” a module attribute. :smiley:

Summary

Gotchas for most people are things that do not work they way they want. In many cases reading documentation would not cause confusion. After some practice they can’t be called weird, but just different from concepts in other languages. That’s not bad thing. I would even say that’s expected to happen. If every language would work the same way as others we would use just one language. :joy:

Don’t assume something before you understand it and it’s context. Simply by following this rule you shouldn’t have bigger problems with most languages especially the modern, high-level ones. :+1:

PragTob

PragTob

Thanks for the links, I must say I didn’t review a lot before but went off what I’ve seen people learning Elixir struggle with in real life.

I get your point about “if you read the docs, it shouldn’t be surprising and you shouldn’t expect it to work in any way”. That’s not how most people work though (imo), they’ve learned something in another programming language and it’s difficult to completely switch that part of esp. when learning. Particularly there are some things where I’d say elixir & erlang behaves extra weird.

Yup I know, but I do think bringing up that goes beyond the scope of the blog post

Never suggested that. I think how maps are matched is great and of course there should be no other way. It makes sense when you think about how their matching works, but still people sometimes expect %{} to match the empty map.

It’s not the only way, but it’s the default way that most Elixir functions use. The preference is also discussed in the discussion I linked Passing in options: Maps vs. Keyword lists - Chat / Discussions - Elixir Programming Language Forum The point isn’t about expecting them to work like maps, but that they are the default (in Elixir, Erlang switched over) and are less handy (imo) to handle this use case.

The problem here is that it “works” it just does something unexpected which isn’t exactly a great DevX. Also lots of Elixir programmers are coming from Ruby (like myself) and there this works - I don’t know about other languages but I’ve seen folks from different programming backgrounds be stung by this.

Why is that surprising? To me this isn’t surprising at all as that’s how . works - it raises if the key isn’t there and the key isn’t there.

I don’t expect a warning there - it’s just unexpected that our workaround for constants can actually change its value during the course of a module which isn’t really… constant. I know why it is and how it’s used, doesn’t make that property less confusing for new comers or potentially dangerous for a “constant” use case especially in huge modules (which you shouldn’t have, but many people do) easily producing odd bugs.

jaeyson

jaeyson

Spot on!

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

dimitarvp
Apparently he decided to live-stream how he’s going to create a semver library.
New
Scorpil
I dabbled in Phoenix for a while now, but never really got my hands dirty with it right up until now. Apart from the whole framework bein...
New
First poster: bot
It’s not legacy code — it’s PHP. Vimeo has been using PHP in production for over 15 years. Find out how we keep a million lines of PHP i...
New
First poster: bot
The Race to Replace C &amp; C++. Three expert compiler writers sit down to discuss moving beyond C and C++ This thread...
New
AstonJ
If you’re interested in Rust this is worth a read :smiley: Technology from the past come to save the future from itself Hi I have be...
New
First poster: bot
What’s Next for Teal, the typed dialect of Lua - FOSDEM 2021. This is my talk about the latest updates on the Teal programming language,...
New
First poster: malloryerik
Everyone outside of tech has heard of JavaScript, Java, Python, Ruby and even .Net, but few if any have heard of F#. However, F# may be o...
New
CommunityNews
Have you ever wanted to write a structurally typed function in Rust? Do you spend a lot of time and effort getting your Rust struct s jus...
New
chikega
Mark Hoffman, the author of Programming WebAssembly in Rust, is a pretty hilarious lecturer if you like a dry sense of humor.
New
brainlid
In episode 78 of Thinking Elixir, we talk with Chase Granberry about Logflare. We learn why Chase started the company, what Logflare does...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New