CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Oxiziding Kraken - 2+ years of rewriting Kraken's backend to Rust

Simon Chemouil – Director of Engineering, Core Backend For more than two years now, Kraken’s Core Backend team has been using Rust to modernize services originally written in PHP, while building new products, expanding the feature set and supporting the ever expanding increase in cryptocurrency…

Why Rust?

Early 2018, Kraken already had production services written in Go and C++. While Rust promised performance, security and modern language constructs, picking it as the language to rewrite core services was a bet.

Kraken is very security-minded. As such, we prefer not to let C++ code run against user input. Even the best C++ teams in the world, like those building Windows™ or Chrome™, produce code where about 70% of CVEs are due to memory safety issues ‒such as use after free, buffer overflows, double free, that can lead to privilege escalation or accessing memory‒ that are completely prevented by languages such as Java, Go or Rust.

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

lpil
Shayne gave this excellent talk the other day on Gleam, so I thought I’d share it. From my point of view it was really interesting to se...
New
dimitarvp
Apparently he decided to live-stream how he’s going to create a semver library.
New
ErlangSolutions
Interested in a blazingly fast type checker with 25 years of investment, delivered on the BEAM? Check out Caramel, an exciting project fr...
New
First poster: bot
Django 3.2 is just around the corner and it’s packed with new features. Django versions are usually not that exciting (it’s a good thing!...
New
paulanthonywilson
Following up on the previous post on using UDP multicasting to broadcast and detect peers on a network, I create a registry of those peer...
New
First poster: bot
This post explains why Scala projects are difficult to maintain. Scala is a powerful programming language that can make certain small te...
New
First poster: bot
Just a small test with lists in cython. Considering echosystem, multithreading and ease of use, Julia is a clear winner here.
New
CommunityNews
Functional programming is an increasing popular programming paradigm with many languages building or already supporting it. Go already su...
New
wolf4earth
Tej Pochiraju joins the mix to discuss Progressive Web Apps and how you can support them using Elixir and Phoenix to control IoT devices....
New
vkatsuba
Hi folks! Ukrainian Erlanger is here :sign_of_the_horns:! I’d like to share my recent talk at the TADSummit Online Conference, where I ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New