CommunityNews

CommunityNews

On the Perceived Inevitability of Unreal

The topic of Unreal’s impact on AAA game development is a big one with a lot of avenues to explore. I won’t claim to have the knowledge or expertise to explore many of them, these are just the thoughts and ramblings of one graphics programmer who has spent his career almost entirely on in-house engines. It’s interesting to talk about though, and I suspect I’ll just be regurgitating the thoughts of people in similar situations, but who knows, maybe someone will find this interesting. This post is somewhat of a reaction to a number of posts I’ve seen in recent months that say something to the tune of “You’d better start working with Unreal, because one day you’ll all be working in it.” I have a hard time disagreeing with that in spirit to be honest, having witnessed the decline of in-house engine development over the last decade, but I also have reasons to believe in-house tech is here to stay (there’s more than you might think!), and may even see a resurgence in the future. It will be interesting to look back on this post in 5-10 years and compare it with what’s happened in the meantime, at any rate…

Read in full here:

http://alextardif.com/Unreal.html

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

First poster: bot
Graham Carroll was racing his BMW touring car around the Interlagos race track in Brazil at speeds of up to 250km/h (155 mph). For the 3...
New
First poster: bot
Hackers have stolen valuable information from major game publisher Electronic Arts (EA), the company said. The attackers claimed to have...
New
First poster: bot
TETRIS is a popular video game in which you try to fill rows in a rectangular well using a sequence of tetrominoes chosen by the machine....
New
First poster: bot
Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases… A new tool that blends your everyday work apps into one. ...
New
First poster: bot
Trippy trailer, fun demo have us excited for Tetris Effect publisher’s May game.
New
RobertRichards
As of now, the online casino game industry has registered an impressive revenue size of over $87.91 billion which will witness a massive ...
New
RobertRichards
Video game development not only requires fresh ideas but also involves using the right game engine where consulting a professional game d...
New
RobertRichards
Despite experiencing the hassle-free purchasing benefits of online shopping, people have not stopped visiting physical retail outlets. As...
New
RobertRichards
Game development involves a blend of creativity and high-end technologies to obtain the best outcome. Right now, Unity game development i...
New
RobertRichards
For emerging businesses and startups, fitness app development presents a lucrative opportunity worldwide. With a strong market size of $6...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New