wolf4earth

wolf4earth

Far Cry: How the Fire Burns and Spreads (2012)

A few years ago, I got the opportunity to architect and code the fire propagation system in Far Cry 2. At that time, it was a gigantic task and it scared the hell out of me. Luckily, it turned out well enough.

With the upcoming Far Cry 3, several people recently asked me how the system worked. I realized that I never took the time to write it down. So, before I forget and also because it might be useful to somebody out there, here’s a high level overview of its inner workings. Pretty programmer art included as a bonus.

Quite an interesting read on how the fire simulation in Far Cry 2 works. I remember how much fun I had burning things down in the game so I think it’s cool to see how it works under the hood.

I especially like how the author has struck a good balance between “real life accuracy” and “ease of computing/ease of understanding”.

First Post!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice find Sascha! A staggering amount of thought goes into game mechanics, sometimes I just look at a game in awe :star_struck:

The video is making me want to get a PS5! Anyone else got one?

Where Next?

Popular Game Dev topics Top

First poster: bot
Atari’s Quadrascan Explained. How did Atari utilize vector monitors in their vector-drawn arcade games? It’s all explained right here.LI...
New
First poster: bot
Pigs can play video games, scientists have found, after putting four fun-loving swine to the test. Four pigs - Hamlet, Omelette, Ebony a...
New
First poster: bot
TETRIS is a popular video game in which you try to fill rows in a rectangular well using a sequence of tetrominoes chosen by the machine....
New
First poster: bot
Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases… A new tool that blends your everyday work apps into one. ...
New
RobertRichards
As of now, the online casino game industry has registered an impressive revenue size of over $87.91 billion which will witness a massive ...
New
RobertRichards
Possibilities in the ecommerce market are steadily increasing with rapid digitization and the surge in technology-proficient users. At pr...
New
RobertRichards
Game development involves a blend of creativity and high-end technologies to obtain the best outcome. Right now, Unity game development i...
New
RobertRichards
Creating multiplayer games using HTML5 presents a unique set of challenges and opportunities. HTML5 has revolutionized web gaming by enab...
New
RobertRichards
Slot is a traditional casino game that is becoming more accessible, popular, and engaging with rapid digitization in recent times. In the...
New
RobertRichards
From general people to business establishments, digital wallet apps are emerging as a popular, faster, and more efficient medium of finan...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New