CommunityNews

CommunityNews

MultiLogo: A Study of Children and Concurrent Programming (1990)

During the past decade, computer scientists have developed dozens of concurrent (or parallel) programming languagues. These languages hold the promise of opening up exciting new applications for computers. But that will happen only if people can effectively learn, use, and understand these new languages. To explore these issues, I developed a concurrent extension to Logo (called MultiLogo), and I conducted an experimental study with a group of elementary-school students. The students used MultiLogo to control simple robotic devices built out of LEGO bricks. In analyzing the children’s work, I develop three primary categories of MultiLogo programming bugs: problem-decomposition bugs, synchronization bugs, and object-oriented bugs. Based on the results, I recommend ways to improve the design and teaching of concurrent programming languages for non-experts.

https://web.media.mit.edu/~mres/papers/MultiLogo/MultiLogo.html

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

First poster: bot
FreeBSD allows the management of multiple instances of PostgreSQL by means of rc.conf(5) . The trick is to use profiles , that are avail...
New
CommunityNews
Microsoft is trying to leapfrog competitors like Google and Amazon as they face record antitrust scrutiny. The big picture: The deals ...
New
CommunityNews
What is 3110 about? You might think this course is about OCaml. It’s not. You might think this course is about data structures. It’s not...
New
First poster: bot
Metaprogramming in Nim #1 Introduction. In this video i will show you and teach you about Nim’s Metaprogramming features/capabilities. E...
New
First poster: dimitarvp
Rails is not written in Ruby. I’m born and raised in Kraków, a beautiful city in Poland, maybe you’ve heard about it, maybe you’ve even ...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - Shirakumo/trial: A fully-fledged Common Lisp game engine. A fully-fledged Common Lisp game engine. Contribute to Shirakumo/tria...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - WhatsApp/waraft: An Erlang implementation of RAFT from WhatsApp. An Erlang implementation of RAFT from WhatsApp. Contribute to ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Ruby 3.1’s incompatible changes to its YAML module (Psych 4). Ruby made its YAML interpreter more secure by default at the cost of backw...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - codic12/worm: A dynamic, tag-based window manager written in Nim. A dynamic, tag-based window manager written in Nim - GitHub -...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - nim-works/nimskull: An in development statically typed systems programming language; with sustainability at its core. We, the co...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New