mafinar

mafinar

Just tried Surface component library for LiveView and it's amazing

Wanted to try out Surface for awhile now and yesterday finally had the time for it, the developer experience is amazing and I decided to convert the project (a small one) to Surface. I would like to know if any of you have any experience with it or if there’s anything I’d look out for.

If anyone’s interested in the project, it’s here (It’s a Covid19 dashboard based on (soon to be pluggable) John Hopkins Dataset.

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

I demoed it on ElixirTO last month, the video just got uploaded, here is the link on it.

mafinar

mafinar

asdf is fun!

So the experience is very good. I had ~12 components and 2 live views written in plain LV and took around 2 hours convert 5 of them to Surface until I hit a bit of a block with passing Jason encoded data for the Leaflet Map hook to consume. I realized it’s probably a bug, reported it and went to sleep, only to see it fixed upon waking up, and completed the transformation without any hiccups. My muscle memory is much more attuned to this syntax as opposed to LV one (after all, it IS a wrapper so it’s meant to be friendlier ;)).

Now for the things I loved about it:

  • Syntax is reminiscent of Vue, did not have to stress much to understand how to do what.
  • The distinction between LiveView, LiveComponent and Component is nice and explicit
  • Awesome declarative is awesome! I get warnings and errors on mismatched prop types (for some of the types at least). I even get warnings if I feed something to a component I did not declare (i.e. id in a Surface.Component (stateless) and not declaring it).
  • Event handling niceties. Events are types too, declarable! Not remembering to @myself was convenient for me. Also :on-click is more intuitive than phx-click (on any other even).
  • The IDE integration is surprisingly good (I was expecting worse) and there is a to do list on it I look forward too
  • There is a Context
  • For me, <Hello name={{ @name }} /> is better than <%= live_component @socket, Hello, name: @name %> and <tr :for={{ row <- rows}}></tr> is better than <tr><%= for row <- rows %>{}<% end %></tr>
  • Bulma for examples! So there was this great minds think alike effect

I am still working with it as I type this (which explains the lengthy reply), I cheated on some of the components with :any as prop/data type so am fixing those and thinking of converting some of the form and input elements with Surface components. I hope to make the codebase look prettier by tomorrow and then move back to the backend. If you try it out and have any suggestions please reach out!

Carter

Carter

Looks v.cool Mafinar…but could you upload a demo to Heroku for those of us who dont have elixir dev environments pls?

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

mafinar
Wanted to try out Surface for awhile now and yesterday finally had the time for it, the developer experience is amazing and I decided to ...
New
New
First poster: bot
Local PDF uses Webassembly to edit your PDFs inside your Browser. Your files won’t leave your System, they will not be sent to another se...
New
CommunityNews
WebAssembly-Powered FM Synthesizer. An 8-operator, polyphonic FM synthesizer running completely in the web browser via Rust compiled to ...
New
First poster: bot
Kaboom!!. a fun JavaScript game programming library &amp; environment https://replit.com/kaboom This thread was posted by one of our ...
New
First poster: bot
Flame is a fast & simple framework inspired by the Elm architecture for building web applications in PureScript
New
First poster: AstonJ
Try it here: https://david.li/paint/ This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
First poster: bot
RacketScript is an experimental lightweight Racket to JavaScript (ECMAScript 6) compiler. RacketScript aims to leverage both JavaScript a...
New
First poster: joeb
Bun is a fast all-in-one JavaScript runtime. Bundle, transpile, install and run JavaScript &amp; TypeScript projects – all in Bun. Bun ...
/js
New
abhay-rana
Bit of a personal itch-scratch post — curious if anyone else runs into the same thing. Every time I kick off a new React project I end u...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File &gt; New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New