CommunityNews

CommunityNews

Flash Back: An “oral” history of Flash

I don’t know what the first video game I ever played was. I would have been too young to remember. It very likely could have been a Flash game running in a web browser, patiently downloaded over a dialup connection.

I got interested in computers at an early age,

Read in full here:

Most Liked

peterchancc

peterchancc

I never learned to create Flash games, but I remembered playing a lot of those. Good times. :smiley:

Eiji

Eiji

Agree, also not much people know that there were ways to download flash games. Sometimes of course it was not possible, but in many cases you only lost network features that was not needed anyway (like top worldwide scores).

They are a perfect fit for people who did not have a good network connection. They are also a great addition to the personal game library right next NES games. What’s best I don’t remember if they were ever crashing - maybe sometimes a single button may not work, but they were much less problematic comparing to current games.

Just for fun:

When I was young people care about quality! :old_man:

that’s said … do you remember problems with flash or NES games? To write NES games you need something like an Assembler knowledge and they still worked without any problems …

What’s surprising if you know were to search you can still find a lot of actively maintained sites that still embeds some flash games and I’m not talking about archives, but a real sites. I visit them to read some news and sometime also play their games using Ruffle.

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

First poster: bot
Wasmino = WASM + Arduino (Running Arduino code in browser). Wasmino Running the “Fade” example Wasmino is an Arduino core fully compatib...
New
First poster: bot
At Vouch.io, ClojureScript accelerates and radically simplifies the development of a new kind of digital key for one the largest automoti...
New
First poster: bot
Why do we need static blocks in classes? A more complicated example Details Support in engines for class static blocks Conclusion
/js
New
First poster: bot
Libsodium has been fully supporting WebAssembly as a target for quite a long time. This includes its built-in benchmark suite, that can r...
New
First poster: bot
GitHub - Qovery/Replibyte: Seed your development database with real data :zap:. Seed your development database with real data :zap:. Con...
New
First poster: bot
Typescipt is terrible for library developers. We spend a disproportionate amount of time on types
New
CommunityNews
Introducing Signals – Preact. Signals are a way of expressing state that ensure apps stay fast regardless of how complex they get. Signa...
New
First poster: bot
Welcome to the Open Source Seed Initiative - Open Source Seed Initiative. Today, only a handful of companies account for most of the wor...
New
First poster: bot
The magical world of Particles with React Three Fiber and Shaders - Maxime Heckel’s Blog. An interactive introduction to Particles with ...
New
First poster: chris.johan
The five most popular JS frameworks – Angular, React, Vue, Svelte and Blazor – use different rendering strategies, and it shows.
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New