dPhong31415

dPhong31415

Elixir for generative AI?

I’ve been playing with the idea of building a generative AI app (images/video). Part of me really wants to use Elixir because I love how it handles concurrency and real-time stuff. But I keep wondering… would Elixir just end up being the orchestrator while Python does the actual AI heavy lifting? Or is Nx/Axon good enough now to lean more into Elixir for the ML side too?

Anyone here tried going down this path? Curious what worked (or didn’t).

Most Liked

Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg
joelpaulkoch

joelpaulkoch

At the end of the day whether it’s Elixir or Python, the actual heavy lifting is done below that in C/C++/CUDA/…

So I think the first question is whether you really want to run the models yourself or just use an API which would probably be way cheaper, given that you’ll need a GPU to do image/video generation if you don’t want to wait 10 minutes for a single image. If you use an API for the generative AI part, it doesn’t matter if you write your app in Elixir or Python, so use Elixir and have some fun :wink:

If you want to run the model yourself, Axon/Nx is definitely good enough to run it because it makes use of the same underlying libraries as the Python world (as the most developed backend for Nx is xla via exla library, I think it lacks a bit behind the cutting edge stuff from pytorch. I’m not sure though and I don’t think it would really matter for you’re use case). The bigger issue you’ll run into is that you need an implementation in Elixir for the model you want to run. And that’s in the bumblebee library, which can’t keep up with all the new models developed in Python. If the model is not implemented yet and you’re interested in how all of this works under the hood, you can implement it and open a PR :wink:

The easier way out here is to use the pythonx library, run the model from there and as soon as you or someone else implemented it you can switch to Nx

toon159

toon159

Thank you for the great information :folded_hands:

Where Next?

Popular Ai topics Top

trazorx
Is it possible to build a recommendation system for my online shop? I have online shop and i want to add a recommendation system on it a...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
dPhong31415
I’ve been playing with the idea of building a generative AI app (images/video). Part of me really wants to use Elixir because I love how ...
New
AadityaJujagar
So I came across this privacy-first AI tool for desktop, Jan.ai, so I decided to use it for document analysis purposes with the use of a ...
New
j_0t
Hi everyone, I would like to ask you for some resources to learn how to compute HMM transition matrix and then start coding the solution...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background A friend of mine is currently showing interest in changing careers. She is in the IT sector, but her experience focuses mostly...
New
SakshiGaba
What’s the best roadmap for a beginner who wants to build a career in AI from scratch?
#ai
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New