ninav50388

ninav50388

Dealing with network congestion in a home lab environment for development builds?

Hey everyone, I’ve been a long-time reader of these forums and always appreciate the technical depth here. Lately, I’ve been hitting a bit of a bottleneck in my home lab setup. As I’ve been expanding my local environment to include more dedicated machines for CI/CD builds and various testing nodes, I’m finding that my initial networking setup is starting to buckle under the load.

One specific issue I’m dealing with is managing the sheer number of physical connections required. I have several micro-servers and development boards that need stable, wired connections, and I’m quickly running out of room on my primary router. I’ve been considering adding a small, unmanaged 7-port network switch to the mix, as it would give me just enough breathing room to keep everything hardwired without moving to a massive enterprise-grade rack switch. However, I’m concerned about potential performance trade-offs. Has anyone here found that these smaller, consumer-grade switches struggle with the traffic overhead when multiple machines are pulling dependencies or pushing large build artifacts simultaneously?

My personal experience has always been that Wi-Fi is too unpredictable for long-running builds, so I’m really committed to keeping this physical. I’m curious if any of you have had success with these smaller switch configurations, or if you’ve found that they introduce latency that starts to impact the speed of your local development workflows. Do you think it’s better to consolidate traffic through a single managed switch, or is a simpler, distributed approach usually sufficient for a home-based development environment? I’d love to hear how you all handle your local network density.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
This article got me thinking about encrypted chat: Europol said that French police had discovered some of EncroChat’s servers were lo...
New
AstonJ
I really like our #general-developer-forum:in-the-news section and am wondering whether we could automate some of the cross-posting of th...
New
dimitarvp
What does a developer advocate do for a living? I mean, what is it that you are paid to do? I’ve seen your description below but it doesn...
New
AstonJ
Stopwords are words that you normally filter for things like search queries, such as ‘as’, ‘because’ etc - there are a few online, but I ...
New
finner
Hello devtalk ! Heroku are closing their free tier (dynos) later this month and I was wondering if you guys could recommend any alternat...
New
PaulMartin
Hey everyone! Do you have any tips or free resources that can help me learn Rspec? Although I know how to write some Rspec, I’m not very...
New
harwind
I have an array of objects in JavaScript, and I want to sort them based on a specific property of the objects. For example, I have an arr...
/js
New
harwind
I have an array of strings in JavaScript, and I need to convert it into a single string with specific delimiter characters between the el...
/js
New
dPhong31415
Hey everyone :waving_hand: I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React backgro...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Trivy was attacked for twice recently. CheckMarx and Telnyx was attacked too. Looks like the attack is not slowing down.
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New