CommunityNews

CommunityNews

It's not what programming languages do, it's what they shepherd you to

It’s not what programming languages do, it’s what they shepherd you to.
How many of you have listened, read or taken part in a discussion about programming languages that goes like the following: Person A: "Pro…

Read in full here:

This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Yes! This! This this this this this!

And this is why languages like Haskell and Rust are good languages, especially to learn from, because they “shepherd” the programmer to doing things correctly.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

For learning, hmm… Haskell is great for a lot of the concepts it gives you, but Rust has a lot of them as well (though not all), however the Rust ability to actually teach you good ownership models is one of the most valuable things that you could learn in any language, that combined with its great error message probably means I’d pick Rust as the best to learn of all of those.

As for what I actually “like” best, well “that depends” on what I’m doing, lol. OCaml I most like as, say, a python replacement, I’d never pick python over ocaml unless I need a specific library, OCaml is fantastic for whipping stuff up. Rust for most else. Haskell is more of a fun thing but doesn’t really gain much in terms of productivity over OCaml or Rust.

iPaul

iPaul

When I was younger I would have definitely preferred a language that lets you do what you want (like C, C++ or Python) instead of one that shepherd you on what you can do. Now I would say that a stricter language like Rust or definitely better especially for team work and large code bases in general.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

First poster: bot
FUZIX FUZIX is a fusion of various elements from the assorted UZI forks and branches beaten together into some kind of semi-coherent pla...
New
First poster: AstonJ
https://permission.site/ This thread was posted by one of our members via one of our news source trackers.
New
First poster: malloryerik
GitHub - hlissner/doom-emacs: An Emacs framework for the stubborn martian hacker. An Emacs framework for the stubborn martian hacker - G...
New
First poster: bot
Large Language Models like ChatGPT say The Darnedest Things. The Errors They MakeWhy We Need to Document Them, and What We Have Decided ...
New
First poster: joeb
GitHub - crablang/crab: A community fork of a language named after a plant fungus. All of the memory-safe features you love, now with 100...
New
CommunityNews
SLUM: The Shadow Library Uptime Monitor. This dashboard tracks the availability of popular shadow libraries in real time from a US-based...
New
First poster: AstonJ
GitHub - exelban/stats: macOS system monitor in your menu bar. macOS system monitor in your menu bar. Contribute to exelban/stats develo...
New
First poster: DevotionGeo
To avoid being replaced by LLMs, do what they can’t. What LLM’s can’t do yet
New
First poster: AstonJ
Truly independent web browser. Contribute to LadybirdBrowser/ladybird development by creating an account on GitHub.
New
CommunityNews
After switching from Firefox to LibreWolf, I became interested in the idea of self-hosting my own Firefox Sync server. Although I had see...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New